walleye general discussion       South Wind VS North Wind walleye general discussion       South Wind VS North Wind walleye general discussion       South Wind VS North Wind walleye general discussion       South Wind VS North Wind
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

FUBAR1: This is Chip Gross (not Goss); thanks for recommending my book Trolling Big-Water Walleyes: Secrets of the Great Lakes Fishing Guides, Charter Captains, and Walleye Pros. My book can ordered on Amazon. Wishing you tight lines...

Chip

Sorry for the typo Chip. I'll fix that. I learned more from your book than any other out there. I recommend it often. See you on the water in the Spring!
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

"I get my walleye gear online at PHDtackle.com."

Quote Originally Posted by ltracey View Post
    Good Post Fubar1
    Thanks! I hope it helps a few folks out.
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

I spoke my entire life about how people refuse to answer my simple questions.
    Instead they have their own conversation ignoring my words completely.
    complementing each other along the way.

Sometimes folks are trying to find a nice way to say you're doing it wrong or in an innovative way that doesn't work as well as other methods. I have never in my 30+ years fishing for walleye heard of anyone trolling like you've described. It is an accepted practice that you troll with the wind and waves at your back. With all things, there are exceptions to that rule. Your turns don't necessarily need to be regimented to 45° at specific intervals. If you're fishing October to pre-spawn the fish are in the upper part of the water column and you don't need snap weights. Your speeds should be anywhere from 0.5 to 1.5 mph. 2.6 mph is way too fast for cold water trolling. Also you'll be more successful using stick baits like a deep Husky Jerk that have a more subtle action than a Bandit.

I'm not trying to be rude, or ridicule you, or anything like that. My answers are simply meant to get you pointed to some good information that will help you be more successful. Start with proven methods and then adjust them to suit your preference. Read Chip Gross' book. It will help simplify your approach and you'll have more success. I wish you tight lines and safe travels.
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

Doug,
    I have trolled like you state with deepest inside and shallowest outside. I understand what you are trying to do by minimizing the angles to pull outside over the others. I can tell you the system can work pulling lures, until you hook a FO on the outside and it doesn't want to be dragged up in the water. I have had that fish come through the other 2 lines and cause a great tangle. We got the fish in and untangle the lines, but lost the time doing that unless you have other rods to throw out during those times. It still is frustrating.

Now other systems have the shortest leads inside and longest leads outside. As long as you are using that system, you can make it work within what you are trying to do. Say inside set at 60, then 80 then 100 on the outside. This might give you enough room to make it work. This way that fish on the outside is far behing the other lines until you line him up in the chute. You have to have that 20 feet of length separation or I think the tangles are ineveitable. Unless you just hook the good eating sized walleye.

I think I will buy Chip Gross book also.
    Rickerd