Lorain and Cleveland Lorain and Cleveland Lorain and Cleveland Lorain and Cleveland
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Doug,

You are using 25lb mono for all your leaders and braid for main lines?

It appears your method for weights is a 50/50 method or sometimes used the different color of braid set to 150 ft to get the desired depth. How are you attaching the pyramid weights?

I use 2 snap swivels
    1 at the end of the braided line.
    1 that connects to the lure.
    the barrel swivel at the end of the mono leader goes on the snap swivel first then the weight
    that way I can leave the leader and lure on all day.
    as far as how much line to make 5 oz go 60 feet deep that would depend on speed
    my guess is 1-1.3 MPH
    I make sure I have 175-250 feet of line out
    the conflict is how to be near the bottom without snagging the bottom
    I was told my entire life that walleye in lake Erie are suspended I have not found that to be true in 2019 or 2020
    though I troll at 2.5 -2.8 MPH
    4 of the biggest walleye and trout I caught have been on the bottom when trolling at .9 MPH
    I purposely slow down for 1-3 minutes to try something different and let lures go to bottom
    at 72 FOW I was catching a keeper every 10-12 minutes with 5 oz weight thus no need to go to 6-7 oz of weight
    in a perfect world I would be 2 feet off the bottom without ever snagging the bottom

Thanks Doug

Default Re: Lorain and Cleveland

I wasn't gong to post, but decided to maybe help someone decide where to go.

Fished Lorain 5/22 3pm to 9pm. Managed one 24" Walleye

Trolled 3 miles West of the Lighthouse and marked decent fish, but everything seemed to have lock jaw. Started with Dipsys running everywhere between 15-40ft down with speeds adjusted to low two's to 3.1 and even tried zig zag patterns with various speeds. Used spoons, big and small, used crawler harnesses, and used shallow crank baits big and small. After about several hours picked up and moved to the dumping ground where we trolled for about and hour and a half (saw very few marks). Pulled lines and went back to the original area where we used bandit's and reef runners on boards. Picked up our only walleye on a bandit around 8pm . Good luck to everyone.
    Last edited by Erie Encounter; 05-23-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Yep I only got 1 walleye sat the 23rd also it was a 24 inch I caught on worm harness white #6colorado spoon.Trolled down to vermilion from beaver lots of marks in 46 foot of water.There on bottom. Only thing is to wait til water temp in central basin hits 60 or above.Then we will all benefit.And go as slow as possible like 1.5 bouncing bottom.

Bites on now limited in 2 hours out of lorain today 6_21 worm harnesses

6/12 bites good out of lorain limited in 2 hours and nice fish. GO GET EM!