New Guy Looking For Advice New Guy Looking For Advice New Guy Looking For Advice New Guy Looking For Advice

Default New Guy Looking For Advice

Hi All, I've been fishing Lake Erie, launching from Bradstreet Pier in Rocky River in my kayak for about 6 months now. I've caught some walleye when the waters were cooler in anywhere from 15-30 FOW trolling with crank baits, but as the water heated up to almost 80 degrees, I'm not having much luck. Ive been pushing further out to the 50 FOW range.

My setup is as follows: electric-powered offshore kayak w/ a 7 hour battery life and I can get to the 50-55 FOW straight out in about 20 minutes. I've been trolling two lines with a mix of Bandit Walleye Shallow, Smithwick Perfect 10, Stinger spoons, and a few walleye harnesses. 3 oz snap weights 50 feet back, then line out to reach depths around 30 feet, sometimes down to 40 feet if I'm marking them on the fish finder. Ive tried trolling speeds between 1.5 to 3 mph, usually in the 2 to 2.5mph range. I usually head out around 5pm till 8:30, or if the morning from 6am to 9:30 or so.

I'm having a tough time with grinding some walleye lately and I'm wondering if any seasoned veterans can shed some light on what might help, aside from waiting till they begin to migrate back. Thanks in advance!

Matt

New Guy Looking For Advice-thumbnail_20200724_174914-jpg

New Guy Looking For Advice-thumbnail_20200809_194355-jpg

New Guy Looking For Advice-thumbnail_20200724_182811-jpg
    Last edited by gunn__runner; 08-10-2020 at 11:35 AM.

A south wind for a couple days might help. That will bring up cooler water from depths and baitfish along with it. If you keep up your effort, when the water cools below about 67, you might get some steelhead trolling 3mph or more.
    I might be getting out in same area when water cools some myself. I will let you know.

Rickerd

you need to go to deeper water and fish deeper right now. we were not getting any keepers until we hit 72' to 74' fishing 45' to 50' down. we were marking tons of fish on the bottom but they weren't biting. but we were marking some fish around 50'. they were the active fish.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    you need to go to deeper water and fish deeper right now. we were not getting any keepers until we hit 72' to 74' fishing 45' to 50' down. we were marking tons of fish on the bottom but they weren't biting. but we were marking some fish around 50'. they were the active fish.
    Thanks! That's what I figured. Unfortunately I can't get out to the 70 FOW depth in the yak, time to wait it out!

If you are going out that early I would try some really shallow water at first. Especially rocky places. Like 4’. You might Have to cast a harness or weight forward

we trolled the 30 to 40 ft 1 day early and caught a few keepers. but mostly got shorts. in your case it would be worth trying it some morning.

I tried shallow with some erie dearies and a night crawler and caught 4 juvenile walleye. Im going to try again this Saturday.