7/18 Out of the Rocky River 7/18 Out of the Rocky River 7/18 Out of the Rocky River 7/18 Out of the Rocky River

Default 7/18 Out of the Rocky River

We launched at 7am and headed north to 53' and started trolling north. The marks weren't very good and we would catch one here and there. I was reeling in a nice one and it came off, felt like it was barely hooked in the lip. At just about 63' I started to make a slow turn to the south and one of the outside rods got hit hard. It was a very big walleye and when I tried to net it at the back of the boat it started fighting hard and the ring on the clasp broke on the leader and it was gone. Shortly after that I was letting dipsy out on a 0 setting and at 30' out on the line counter a 24" steelhead hit it and almost pulled the rod out of my hand. It was jumping and tail dancing behind the boat. Ended with (6) 18-20" and threw back several skinny keepers and a few non keepers and one sheephead. We were using 6 dipsys and spoons and speed was 2.1-2.4. Bummed out about the big one but it was a great day and home by 11:30 before it got really hot.
    Last edited by Cleveland Eyes; 07-20-2020 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland Eyes View Post
    We launched at 7am and headed north to 53' and started trolling north. The marks weren't very good and we would catch one here and there. I was reeling in a nice one and it came off, felt like it was barely hooked in the lip. At just about 63' I started to make a slow turn to the south and one of the outside rods got hit hard. It was a very big walleye and when I tried to net it at the back of the boat it started fighting hard and the ring on the clasp broke on the leader and it was gone. Shortly after that I was letting dipsy out on a 0 setting and at 30' out on the line counter a 24" steelhead hit it and almost pulled the rod out of my hand. It was jumping and tail dancing behind the boat. Ended with (6) 18-20" and threw back several skinny keepers and a few non keepers and one sheephead. We were using 6 dipsys and spoons and speed was 2.1-2.4. Bummed out about the big one but it was a great day and home by 11:30 before it got really hot.
    Go out of rocky river at least a couple times a week.... last few trips have been very similar to yours ... doing the same thing ... those steelhead are fun to catch.
    Maybe we have to go even farther out??

Has anyone been off Bratenahl. I marked plenty of fish last Friday. Tore up a tire on trailer so two replacements today.