Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp July 1, 2020 Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp July 1, 2020 Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp July 1, 2020 Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp July 1, 2020

Default Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp July 1, 2020

After spending the month of June fishing north of Kellys Island and doing really well, our month at the family cottage is over and I am back home in the Cleveland area and will return to fishing out of the Sheffield Launch Ramp. During June, I was surprised to see the near total lack of reports for the Lorain area so thought I would share with you the results of my first trip on the evening of July 1.
    Conditions were light north east winds, waves 1-2 feet, clear sky and sunny. I was on the water by 5:30 with poles in by just before 6. Since I had seen a near full moon several nights before, I checked the solunar calendar for best fishing times and I should have been right in the evening sweet spot.
    I spoke with some gentleman at the ramp who launched in front of me and they said go due north to at least 50 feet and fish are concentrated between 40 and 50 feet. Once I got to 50 feet due north of the ramp, sure enough, lots of good marks right near the bottom. Since I fish with worm harnesses, fishing off the bottom is no problem for me. These gentlemen also said that they typically limit out in two hours.
    Once I got to 50 feet, I put in the first pole just off the bottom and within 5 minutes had my first keeper. As I got the rest of the poles in the water, the bite kept going but not what I expected. I had many, many bites from shorts and the bummer was they are so frisky that they shake my perfectly good worm off in the water. I fished until 8:45 and did get my 6 fish limit but for every keeper, I probably caught 3-4 shorts. Good thing I had a lot of worms with me. Really pleasant evening and glad to have caught my limit but there was work involved contrary to the advice I had received.
    Looking forward to fishing the area during the rest of the July 4th holiday week.

Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp July 1, 2020-img_0426-1-jpg

Thanks for the report. I have been hitting fairport harbor hit the fish aren’t quite there yet. Spotty reports and not many limits. Headed to 72nd tomorrow for a little late afternoon fishing. May shoot north northwest and see if any fish are hanging outside Cleveland area.