Dipsey Leader Length Dipsey Leader Length Dipsey Leader Length Dipsey Leader Length

Default Dipsey Leader Length

How long of a leader does everyone run behind their dipsey divers? I’ve typically been running about 6’-7’. I recently ran across a thread for Lake Michigan salmon fishing and folks were running much longer leads, 10-12’. (Some even 30-50’ with elaborate ways to clip off the dipsey when getting it to the boat). I wonder if there is a difference for walleye in Lake Erie. Thanks for any help.

Hey motownhound, I general use a 6-7 ft leader, anything longer makes netting the fish a challenge...but that could just be me I don't use anything elaborate to unclip the rigs...the way the fish have been biting, I keep it as simple as possible. Good luck out there!

Motownhound, I base my leader lengths for dipsys off 2 things:
    1: length of rod used
    2: length of boat used
    I run Shimano talora dipsy rods that are 10 foot long and I only fish off a 16.5 foot boat, so in turn I try to keep my leaders no more than 9 foot. This gives me some room to 0ull the fish up and also I can move towards the front of the boat(open bow) to land a hard fighting fish. If you are running say an 8'6" rod, then I would personally stuck with the 6-7 foot leader. Some of my work harnesses are only 5 foot long off the dipsys and they produce a lot of fish for me! Best of luck to you on this season!

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by motownhound View Post
    How long of a leader does everyone run behind their dipsey divers? I’ve typically been running about 6’-7’. I recently ran across a thread for Lake Michigan salmon fishing and folks were running much longer leads, 10-12’. (Some even 30-50’ with elaborate ways to clip off the dipsey when getting it to the boat). I wonder if there is a difference for walleye in Lake Erie. Thanks for any help.
    i've been fishing erie for yrs with divers. 1st with the dipsy then the deeper diver and now with the lite bite slide diver. i use a 6' to 7' seaguar fluro 20# leader. i've tried longer leaders but found my catch rate didn't improve. now that i use the lite bite slide diver it would be very easy to run long leads. but i just rig them like a dipsy with a 6' to 7' leader. but i do use the lite bite arm. with the lite bite arm set real loose it will trip the diver on small fish. its been releasing on most white perch for us.

i believe anything over 6' to 7' is a total waste of time and effort.