Walleye Heaven Walleye Heaven Walleye Heaven Walleye Heaven

Thread: Walleye Heaven

Default Walleye Heaven

Scotty and I launched at Geneva State Park just after 8:00 AM this morning intending to go to the 42:02 N after getting good reports from friends who killed them there the day before. As we hit the 41:57N there were several boats working that area so I slowed down to check for activity on the fishfinder and there they were stacked from 55' to the bottom. To make a long story short, trolling NE at 2.3 mph using Nazcar and Sir Walleye Stinger spoons off Dipsys on a "2" setting back 111' and 176' we limited out before 10:00 AM. We were just over the 41:59 N line almost 3 miles short of our original target area. FYI: I never saw a screen without echos, usually 2 or 3., but stangely no bait pods. The only fish caught today were legal walleye 18 to 24 inches. Never saw a splash of white water or wind over 10K. We need more days like today. Stay safe...

good to hear from you doc. sounds like the fishing is still great. do you think the fish will head back west? or will there be enough resident fish to keep the bite good until winter? please keep the reports coming. its guys like you that gives guys like me a place to start fishing.

I didnt get up this yr. but have plans to rent a house for a week next yr in july. I would try to fill an open seat but don't know if I could make it between dr appointments a trip to tn next week then 2 weeks to visit my niece in md for a little get away. will do some fishing with her and her man.

I don't think the fish move as far as some people think. If you are coming in July, I would launch at Geneva State Park. The ramps are great and the fish could be in as close as 2 miles. Many cottages are available at Geneva on the Lake. Look on their website. Follow this website and earlier the Western lake reports if you come earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    Scotty and I launched at Geneva State Park just after 8:00 AM this morning intending to go to the 42:02 N after getting good reports from friends who killed them there the day before. As we hit the 41:57N there were several boats working that area so I slowed down to check for activity on the fishfinder and there they were stacked from 55' to the bottom. To make a long story short, trolling NE at 2.3 mph using Nazcar and Sir Walleye Stinger spoons off Dipsys on a "2" setting back 111' and 176' we limited out before 10:00 AM. We were just over the 41:59 N line almost 3 miles short of our original target area. FYI: I never saw a screen without echos, usually 2 or 3., but stangely no bait pods. The only fish caught today were legal walleye 18 to 24 inches. Never saw a splash of white water or wind over 10K. We need more days like today. Stay safe...
    Do you mind sharing what size Dipsys you were using? I typically run 4 rods. Two in the middle - one with a Jet 20 @ 150 out, one with a Jet 40 @ 100 out. One rod with a Dipsy 0 with the O ring @ 100 to 150 out (3 setting to Starboard). One rod with a Kastaway Magnetic Diver @ 100 to 150 out (3 setting to Port). Really curious if you are running the larger (#1) Dipsy.

The answer about the #1 Dipsy is yes but without the 0 ring. All are set at a "2" setting. Green metallic on the starboard side and metallic Purple and occasionally Red on port. There are usually only 2 of us so the longer baits are out 176' and the shorter at 111' to 150'. If there are 3 of us I run a 6# downrigger ball with lightweight spinning tackle with Siamono Side Stab reels filled with 12# Trilene XT, 14# for steelhead.

The play was the same as I reported on 9/6 except the wind and waves were higher and we were done with our 12 fish at 9:27 A M , less than an hour and a half. Why can't the weather bureau get their facts straight? They were saying 2 feet or less and we are riding 3 to 5 footers with bigger swells along with a stiff breeze....