Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp 19 July Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp 19 July Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp 19 July Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp 19 July

Default Fishing out of Sheffield Lake Ramp 19 July

I have been wondering just how long the great walleye fishing (quick limits) we have experienced the last two months will last in the Central Basin and got a taste of that on a morning trip I made July 19th. Conditions were forecasted to be good in that it was sunny, winds 10mph out of the southwest and waves 1-2ft but once on the water it was a bit choppier the further you went out. No problem for half of the trip (trolling due north from the ramp) but was not looking forward to the return trip. Anyways, got the poles in the water (48ft depth) and had to wait 20 minutes for the first bite. There appeared to be fish up top and down at 25-35ft. I pulled Flicker Minnows for a bit to see if I could get the fish at the top but no luck. I decided to target the deeper fish with worm harnesses and had to fight some junk fish interference but had 4 in the box before I got out far enough that I figured I had better turn around. Hate to make the turn without a limit but with waves of 2-4 feet, made the call to go back and hopefully catch two more on the way back in. I trolled Flicker Minnows all the way back to the ramp and caught 2 keepers and one throw back. What a relief. It is ironic to think back 3 years or more to times when catching a limit of walleye took effort, skill and some luck and you were proud that you had limited out because it was not that easy. These days, it seems like everyone expects to limit out and would be disappointed if this was not achieved. Fortunately, I was spared the disappointment. When I got back to the ramp, I talked to some others who had just come in and everyone had a tough day.

I fished that area 2 weeks ago. Reef Runner 800s and Stinger spoons were producing at 2-2.5 mph. We even got a few on Hot 'n Tots. I switch colors out after 15 minutes if we're marking fish but not dippin'.