Aug 4 report - Sheffield Lake/Avon Lake area Aug 4 report - Sheffield Lake/Avon Lake area Aug 4 report - Sheffield Lake/Avon Lake area Aug 4 report - Sheffield Lake/Avon Lake area

Default Aug 4 report - Sheffield Lake/Avon Lake area

Before you read my report let me get on my soapbox. If you're reading reports, but not sharing (successes or failures) it doesn't help the walleye community. We all want to have a successful day on the water so I implore more of you reading these posts to please share info. ODNR estimates the 2018 walleye population at about 15 million with a 2017 catch total of 1.3 million in Ohio waters. My point is this is the best fishing in 30 years and there is plenty for us all. Help out your fellow anglers to put them in the right area with a good program.

I took two friends out of Sheffield Lake yesterday. We managed three tickets over 7 hours, but the bite was slow. I hadn't been in the area for a few weeks and they sure have moved. I haven't seen anyone sharing information for this area so we took a gamble they were still around. Everything we marked was scattered, but consistently between 30-37 feet deep no matter the lake depth. We searched from 40 to 52 fow. We ran four dipsy divers with Stinger spoons between 28-35 feet and two Reef Runners on inline boards at about 25 feet. All produced fish with the spoons getting more junk as you would expect. We had a few shorts with the keepers between 16-22". No particular color stood out beyond another. I went through a ton of gear to find the magic color to no avail. We saw a huge pack farther east off Avon Point/Bay Village, but didn't care to investigate. Not sure if they were drifting for eyes or perch, but I wanted no part of it.

Next weekend is looking like a N to NNE wind so we'll see...
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

"I get my walleye gear online at PHDtackle.com."

Thanks for sharing Zoome360!
    FUBAR1
    New Philadelphia, Ohio

"I get my walleye gear online at PHDtackle.com."

The silence on the water doesn't surprise me at all. I share whenever I am on the water and my followers can testify that. As soon as I start pulling fish I announce it for all to hear on Ch. 68. Yesterday was no exception. I have found that sticky hands will trigger a bite when nothing else works. When things got slow I pulled out my homemaid blueberry muffins as no sooner than my old fishing buddy of many years (40+) took that first bite with sticky hands it was game on. I swear to God he had to reel in 4 nice walleye before he could finish that muffin. They will be on the boat tomorrow out of Geneva at 7:30 AM.

Yesterday between the 57N and the 00N due north of Geneva it was dipsey divers with bright Stinger spoons back 144' and 204'. The story about the distances will keep for another day. Speed was 1.8 to 2.1 running with the NW wind. If you are not catching fish tomorrow call me on Ch.68.....

Default muffins

I'm still laughing. I thought, hmmm, homemade blueberry muffins....this guy makes his own spoons. Then, after reading the post again, sticky fingers, taking a bite, .....sure made me laugh. Blueberry muffin has been a hot Stinger spoon for many of us , but I'm sure gonna take some of the sticky variety with me on the next fishing trip. Silly me, I've been taking granola bars and pretzels. Blueberry muffin and coffee....perfect!!
    Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT
    Yamaha 90 4 stroke
    Suzuki 9.9 EFI
    Minn Kota Terrova iPilot 80# w/ US2
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 9 inch
    Lowrance Elite 5x

This is a re-post. I posted something similar on 8/5 but unfortunately deleted the post using my phone.

Posted it here because I've been fishing between Lorain and East of CLE since first of July. Started before July 4th weekend in Lorain - did not want to make the trip west if I did not need to. Early July, 2 to 4 man limits about 5 miles out - 45 FOW. Trolling with 4 sticks - 0 Dipsy Divers right and left - set at 3 right or left - back @ 100 ft and TTs in the middle - TT30 @ 150 back TT40 @ 100 back. All with Stinger spoons - green and yellow. Typical to get 6 fish per hour.

Towards the end of July fished off CLE (Gordon Park) in 45 FOW - same setup - same results. Maybe a little closer to shore (2 miles out).

Then late July and early August (7/28 and 8/02) moved to Wildwood (185th street - Euclid). Started 5 MI out (45 FOW) trolled out to about 8-10 MI out (60 FOW). Did better @ 60 FOW. 6 fish per hour. DD Right and Left (3 settings) @ 190 back. TT40 @ 125 back and TT30 @ 200 back.

Point of this post. Fish are out there from Lorain to East of CLE - go get them. Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR1 View Post
    Before you read my report let me get on my soapbox. If you're reading reports, but not sharing (successes or failures) it doesn't help the walleye community. We all want to have a successful day on the water so I implore more of you reading these posts to please share info. ODNR estimates the 2018 walleye population at about 15 million with a 2017 catch total of 1.3 million in Ohio waters. My point is this is the best fishing in 30 years and there is plenty for us all. Help out your fellow anglers to put them in the right area with a good program.

I took two friends out of Sheffield Lake yesterday. We managed three tickets over 7 hours, but the bite was slow. I hadn't been in the area for a few weeks and they sure have moved. I haven't seen anyone sharing information for this area so we took a gamble they were still around. Everything we marked was scattered, but consistently between 30-37 feet deep no matter the lake depth. We searched from 40 to 52 fow. We ran four dipsy divers with Stinger spoons between 28-35 feet and two Reef Runners on inline boards at about 25 feet. All produced fish with the spoons getting more junk as you would expect. We had a few shorts with the keepers between 16-22". No particular color stood out beyond another. I went through a ton of gear to find the magic color to no avail. We saw a huge pack farther east off Avon Point/Bay Village, but didn't care to investigate. Not sure if they were drifting for eyes or perch, but I wanted no part of it.

Next weekend is looking like a N to NNE wind so we'll see...
    FUBAR1,

Its nice to see a few people using this site again. Since you were polite enough to share your fishing trips, I will share some of mine. Hopefully, others will follow suit. I started out in 45 ft of water NE of Vermilion river around 7am. We had a 3 man crew drifting for about 2 hours and managed 2 17" walleye. We decided to move in and we were marking fish in that 30-37 ft of water range you referred to and managed 1 more 18" walleye in a half an hour. I was a little frustrated so I decided to go in to 19 ft of water just west of the Vermilion wall and bingo!!! We caught our remaining 15 fish in 2 hours and they were a bigger variety of fish ranging 19-25". We did have to suffer through some catfish but it was well worth it. Kinda unusual to find em there this time of year but they were there. We caught most fish on either gold or an orange/copper worm harness.