trolling crankbaits with leadcore? trolling crankbaits with leadcore? trolling crankbaits with leadcore? trolling crankbaits with leadcore?

Default trolling crankbaits with leadcore?

OK guys I am very confused.if I am trolling a reef runner that will dive to around 30 feet with 200 feet of line out and the fish are at 50 feet.what would be my best bet on getting my baits to them? if I used leadcore how would I spool it onto the reel with my mono that already on it? Or would I use snap weights to get to the desired depth? Once again I'm not sure about the dive curves on any of these

I would think snap weights would be better than adding lead core over your mono. I would assume your reels are full and calibrated to be accurate with the depth counter. So adding lead core over this would make that not accurate. Not sure you would even have enough space in your reel to add enough lead to make this even possable. Normally the reels are almost full to get the counter to be correct.

I took your question as you wanted to add the lead over your already in place mono to be able to get the lure down and extra 20ft. Or do you just want to use some mono as a backer so you don't have to put so much lead on. I have personally never used lead, I don't even know how much you need to get to 50ft. I think I heard once that color ( about 10 yards) was worth close to 7ft, so you would need color to even get to 50, then say at least 1 or 2 more to not be having the joiner knot taking the full pressure of fighting the fish. So 9 or 10 color...300yards.....900ft.

We run braid with 1000ft by the reel of 25lb mono backer and 400-50ft by the reel or braid, 30lb. Seems like we get our in calibration in that window, we start checking it at the 400 mark. For us it gets us within about 5 actual feet of distance when measured at 100ft, so from there it's just adjust the fill to get it the measure out correctly. An extra 100 ft by the reel tends to make about 5 ft measured out. But mono is thin, we use 30 series okuma. I don't know how much reel you need to fit 10 colors of lead on, I would imagine it pretty thick and will take up a good deal of space on a reel.

But I am sure someone who runs it will chime in and let you a define answer. But as I'm typing and thinking if you know 7 or 8 color will hit you about 50 ft, I guess the line counter now won't matter at all, cause the depth per color is a known factor. From there any reel you can fit it on should work....I guess what is need to know is how far does each color get you down then just let out and do the math no counter needed.

Now you got me wondering. Lol

I thank you for your reply back. What I cannot figure out is I heard that each ounce of lead that you add will give you 5 foot of depth correct me if I'm wrong. But what I'm confused about is when running a reef runner 200 feet back to get 28 feet if I added 3 ounce of a snap weight wouldn't I hit bottom? I run inline weights off of offshore boards and at 100 feet back I can get to 42 feet so it has me wondering.

I guess I am not the person to answer that question. I have not used much inline weights for trolling. I do know that when using weights it's very speed sensitive. Slowing down wI'll get you deeper, speeding up shallows up. So there is a constant variable in thete m a king a definitive answer as 1oz equals 5 ft hard to claim. The same will hold true with lead core, and just about all diving tolls

I just don't know or understand how to get crankbaits down to the 40 to 50 foot range

I run 5 color lead cores, reels are mono backing, 5 color, 40' leader.. a reef(will dive 25' alone) now added to the line, now let ,leader, all lead core and an additional 50'. the lure will now be 50' deep..
    good luck Rick
    In order to spool lead you must remove a lot of the mono from your reels,
    Rick

Just for my own knowedge and interest, your says you run the reef, followed by a 40 leader ( assuming floor or mono), 5 colors ( am I correct that 1 color is about 10 yards or 30ft....so about 150 ft ) then you pale out another 50 of mono backer to get to 50ft.

Maybe it's me thinking but that's almost 200 ft out and a couple joiner knots, seems like a good chance for things to go wrong or get tangled.

I would think if if you ran a 3 oz snap weight 20ft in front of your runner, then another 100 ft out@ 1.5 I bet you would be real close to 50 down

I run a micro spro swivel at each joint, my leader material is floral, so ya, its back there and down, fish hawk td confirmed.. also pull off big boards..
    also i troll at 2 - 2.2 mph on a fish hawk... not g.p.s...
    Last edited by Prime Time 2; 01-26-2017 at 07:16 AM.
    Rick

Lead core trolling. Generally one color of lead core is equal to 5' of depth. I only use 8' of leader ,so 5 colors of lead core equal 25 ft plus the 8' of leader and the crank baits ability to dive. . I run lead core off of planer boards one rod 5 colors other rod 6 colors . In addition I use down riggers to pull worm harness. Usually deploy them after locating fish.. With the down riggers I try to keep the baits 3-5 ft above the fish. Walleyes look up to attack prey. Lead core is always a guessing game. I try to keep speed close to 2 mph in the summer time . Once you catch a fish remember how much line you had out and then vary it by small amounts. Always watch the fish locater as the fish will stage at different depths throughout the day . If you arn't using planer boards try tru trip deep divers. I deploy without lead core generally 4 colors of braid.