Hot fishing Hot fishing Hot fishing Hot fishing

Thread: Hot fishing

Default Hot fishing

I know this is a walleye site but news is slow in coming so here is my report: Conneaut steelhead are jumping in the boat. 1/2 oz KO Wobblers, gold and orange dragged 80' to 100' back at 1.8 - 2.0 mph all over the basin and close in near the harbor entrance, especially near the lighthouse and the weather station. Also try blue and silver KO"s and Lil Cleos. Filets skin side down on the grill for 7-8 minutes, then covered with Marzetti's Sweet and Sour or Poppyseed salad dressing makes a great entre'. Bon Appetite.....

Never steelhead fished b4 but would like to try, I have walleye trolling tackle, not sure what other equp ment I would need.

But was told that when the tine is right one could troll channel there and get great fish. Is this true

At times the shipping channel can be very productive. Run the full length as far south as you can go, passed the turnaround. Minnows are thick in there. The tackle is simple. Spinning rods and reels or line counter reels and rods. I use 14 lb Trilene XT to a swivel, then 2 to 3 feet of 20 lb XT leader to a simple snap. 1/2 oz to 3/4 oz KO Wobblers and 2/5 oz Lil Cleos back 80' to 100' trolled at 1.7 to 2.0 mph. Gold and orange has been working for me lately but don't be afraid to as a passing boat what is working for them. That can change your luck. I concentrate on the harbor entrance most of the time but don't forget to run along the west wall on the outside or move out 200 to 300 yards from the entrance for the suspenders out there. They are the ones usually feeding. If a freighter is in the channal forget that area. Once you get hooked on steelhead and their awesome fight you will hit Conneaut like me until the ramps are frozen. I'll be there tomorrow and next Tuesday in my 20' Proline with the blue bimini top. Dr. Ed on Ch.68