Conneaut Walleye and steelhead Conneaut Walleye and steelhead Conneaut Walleye and steelhead Conneaut Walleye and steelhead

Question Conneaut Walleye and steelhead

Where are the fishing reports? My last 6 trips out of Conneaut did not produce enough for me to waste your time. I even ran the breakwalls, the basin and the channel without a bite although there were plenty of marks. I think the high water temp and an overabundance of baitfish may have something to do with it. I am not going to blame the Canadian netters. I do know some charters are bringing in walleye. I have seen the books and talked to my friends at the cleaning stations and there have been some impressive numbers. I would sure like to know where and how they are catching as I am not...

Last Sunday I went out to the second trench out of Walnut and caught a 27" walleye and 22" steelhead along with a bunch of junk fish...

Thanks for the report. Update: Yesterday I was at the 04N line and 36W line and trolled east to the perch pack in a light chop. Jager Bomb spoon down 54' off the downrigger caught fish. Blue Max Stinger caught fish 150' to 234' back on a 3 setting at 2.1 mph. Most fish were 14 inches or less but I finally got to take some keepers up to 24 inches home. I know this report isn't great but it is a start. Remember a little good info is better than no info. More later...I hope...

We were out of walnut due north last sat, bumpy, only cough one steel and 4 eyes, sunday I fished the north end of first trench, east end north / north east of nut, we had 49 steel head hits and landed 25, got 6 walleye, one perch, 75' depth, monday we went back and had 10 walleye and 5 steel hits only landing one, This was a great weekend to be out, lost 6 plugs to the steel snaping my leaders...
    Good luck to all, be safe out there.. Rick
    Rick

Sounds like you were having fun and getting some to the boat. What lures were working for you? Did you sharpen those hooks lately? Did you reset the hook after the strike and take up any slack? I use 5 feet of new 20 Trilene XT leader behind a swivel and check for any damage between fish. Steelhead can be a challenge but what trill. The Ohio silver bullets will be on the take soon and with that will be my reports.

dw spoons on riggers, renoskis on dippsys and reefs on 5 color on the boards, a crazy day for sure... the 12# floral leader was no match for the steel,
    Rick

Thanks for the quick comeback. One question and I'll leave you alone. Colors???

No problem, I read your post all the time, Im on here every day, here and ohio site, thank you, it keeps me going, I live 2.5 hrs from the lake , The top colors were red renowski, white spoons with lime green ladder or a black spoon with lime ladder,(silver back), and reef was green or purple, Im not good with the names of them,I usually fish off the point or in the trenches..
    Good luck,
    Rick