A little help for the guys fishing walnut to north east A little help for the guys fishing walnut to north east A little help for the guys fishing walnut to north east A little help for the guys fishing walnut to north east

Red face A little help for the guys fishing walnut to north east

IM starting to feel sorry 4 the guys posting and not doing so well.Heres what ive been doing and getting more than my fair share of walleye.the fish have been in 50/60fow mixed with whites sheeps perch and bass.The last 3 weeks ive caught 90% of my fish within 2 ft of bottom.The lures im fishing with willow leaf crawler harnesses renoskies, spoons bombers long a's reef runners yoeyoes yoezuriessomethin like that. This is how im fishing these lurers downriggers 50 back 5ft off bottom yoyoes long a's bommers reefrunners steel line 300to350 back or 5colors &2oz weight plus 40ft of line . spoons renoskies, harnesses dipsies setting3 130 -150 setting1.5 85-100back I don't want to sound cocky but we have been catching a lot of fish just takes a little longer than last year or the year before. You have to be patient trust your eletronic's you know when your marking walleye if you have fished the lake 4 a couple of years. The next thing that's crucial is speed 1.5 -2 mph at the lure I had times last week sog was 3.1-3.3 to maintain proper speed at lure if your going to fast all you catch is white bass to slow sheeps I believe speed and temp at the lure has made a big difference in my catch this year.in 60fow the temp is 74 on the bottom and that where im catching walleye. ive been fishing out of n.east but have been west of Erie the screen has been the same marking fish 40-50down but not catching them the fish im catching are coming of the bottom and that's the way its been everywhere ive fished the last 3 weeks . goes against everything I know im not fishing above my marks im fishing below them. Well I hope this helps a couple of you guys struggling any questions im more than happy to share info Good luck KEEP THEM TANGLE FREE

Thanks for the info Fishnfun.
    We will be back out this Sunday (tomorrow), haven't decided where yet. Either going to be Walnut again or maybe North East, I haven't been out of North East in years.

You are correct, we've seen most of the marks suspended at 40ish fow and been targeting just above that with little results. Although I did drag the downrigger close to the bottom for a while yesterday and couldn't get anything going. We've had the Dipsy's pretty high this year so Sunday I will make sure we let out a little extra line and see what happens.

My boat is only setup to fish with Dipsy's and downriggers. So we won't be able to try the wire and leadcore setups you motioned. But we definitely we try closer to the bottom.

Can I ask how you monitor the speed at the lure? Currently the only way I know what speed we're going is the Lowrance Seattleite navigation. This hasn't been a problem in years past - we're always done well.

Again thanks for sharing info.
    20' Sea Ray

Thanks Fishnfun.
    Everyone needs a wakeup call once in a while.
    We were doing this in late June and early July and caught nice size fish just not in numbers.
    Then we started looking deeper for the suspended fish. Just BECAUSE THEY SHOULD BE THERE ???
    We should be out of Conneaut tomorrow (Sunday). Will be a late start but we will be there.
    Skinny I will give you a yell when I get out.
    Thanks to all for the help!

Skinney most of my fish are coming off the dipsies. im running 2 off each side #3setting &#1.5 setting as I said in my post.The down speed is a probe on the downrigger I have a depth raider there are several different kinds. I do believe it has helped me several times this year before I had it I would guess when going into the wind or against the waves I would never had my SOG(speed over ground) at 3.4mph maybe 3 sometimes. most days my downspeed &sog are close but I've had 3days this year with close to a 1mph difference KEEP THEM TANGLE FREE THE FISH are coming on a slow troll 1mph makes a big difference 1.5 - 2mph try to stay on 1.7
    Last edited by fishnfunaddict; 08-06-2016 at 10:31 AM.

We fished deeper Sunday and did better. Straight out of Walnut to about 55 fow, Dipsy set on 1.5 and 110 feet of line out did most of the work. We were off to a pretty good start and one of the new guys got sick so we called it quits around 11:00.
    Again a lot of marks at the 40 foot mark but we fished below them. We targeted just above the bottom.
    20' Sea Ray

Fished Conneaut Sunday afternoon 1 to 5:30 pm .
    58 fow North caught a 17 " & 26 " walleye.

I fished north west out of Conneaut Sunday in 53 to 55 fow, lots of marks and caught quite a few short eyes, along with 5 that could have been kept, but 15-1/4 on the top of the cooler is a little too close to the limit for my liking. We did manage to put 3 in the box there, one 24" and one 26", both of those came off of #1 dipseys on a 3 setting 115 back and a 29" on a 2 setting 100 back. We tried a little of everything, reef runners off the down riggers never got a strike, but we had 3 on stinger spoons that 50' behind the ball that got off, caught a 15" on a bomber long A on 5 colors of lead, another on a thunder stick with a 2oz snap weight, had a huge hit that came off a couple of minutes into the fight on a reef runner on 5 colors of lead and then they shut off completely for us.