Walnut 7/17 Walnut 7/17 Walnut 7/17 Walnut 7/17

Thread: Walnut 7/17

Default Walnut 7/17

I hope you did better then we did, ROUGH DAY. We started troll just outside the nets in about 55 fow, east towards the point. Nothing. Finally moved to west side of the marina in front of Elk creek - about 77 fow. Trolled south into 48 fow, started see marks at about 52fow. Picked up one 16 incher (should have thrown him back but he was bleeding).

We pulled harnesses most of the day anywhere from 30 to 60 foot, no takers. Pulled a RR off the downrigger for a while and nothing.

Back at the dock the charters were coming back in and did pretty good. I seen a group holding two eyes- they said were 9.5 to 10 lbs.

I will be back out next weekend and plan to start outside of Elk at about 50 fow. Channel 68 if anyone wants to try and get something going??
    20' Sea Ray

Skinny ,You win !!!
    We were out of Conneaut today. Did not get a walleye for the box.
    3 shorts and some junk.
    Fished North 45 to 71 FOW spoons and harness .
    On our way in 2 boats in front of us came in from the east both had 3 man limits of walleye.
    The said they were working 50-60 fow 5 miles east of the state line and took 8 hours.
    Right place at the right time I guess.
    Good luck next week !
    It will be 2 weeks before I will have a chance to get out again.

I guess I wasn't the only one...I fished NNW out of Conneaut on Sunday also, the lake was beautiful, lots of boats perching and trolling for eyes, but the radio was pretty quiet. We started out in 68FOW and trolled NE until I hit 74FOW, very few marks and only 1 sheephead to show for it so I turned and headed SSW. When I got into 58FOW I started to pick up some better marks, made a couples of loops through from 58FOW to 52FOW and did manage to catch a 22" walleye that went in the box, a 15-1/4 I threw back and 3 of the smallest eyes I think I have ever seen. We did have a few good hits that popped the dipseys but managed to not stay hooked and a mixed bag of white perch, white bass and sheephead. We ran 2 dipseys out each side on 2.5 and 3.5 settings with willow bladed worm harnesses and 2 reef runners 50' behind the downrigger ball, but the only hits we had were on the harnesses. I think if I had started at that depth, I may have been able to scrape together a decent catch, but by the time I got to the fish, my day was about over.Walnut 7/17-walleye-jpg

Thanks for the report Bullship.
    We caught one of those little guys too. 6" fish on a 3" spoon.
    You answered the question I had about running out to deeper water.
    Always second guessing your self these days.
    Good Luck !

We also caught one of the smallest eye's I ever seen. About 6".

I think the plan this weekend is to head west away from the marina a ways and start in shallow (48-50) fow. See what happens!
    20' Sea Ray

I am planning my first trip to Erie Wednesday (I Think) relocated from central PA to near Pittsburgh, so the drive is not nearly as bad. However, not sure I want to make the run based on these reports. I plan to to run to the OH line and work 50 -60 FOW.

Will post results if I make it up. Poor Richards assured me their coolers were full and someone is catching them...

Quote Originally Posted by Shedidntno View Post
    Poor Richards assured me their coolers were full and someone is catching them...
    Shedidntno,
    I agree, some people are catching them. Like I said that charter boat I was behind at the marina did really good. I'm a member on another site and guys are catching them. One common theme between the two site is that most people are doing better in the skinny water 48 - 50 fow.

Good luck if you make the trip and let us know how you make out.
    20' Sea Ray

Ok _ fair day overall. 6 in the cooler, lost 5 at the boat and 5 shorts. Went West near Ohio line fished in 50 _ 55 FOW all sticks blue with gold and purple with yellow were best. On the water at 5:30 _ in at 3:30. Tired.