Depth options for Ashtabula Depth options for Ashtabula Depth options for Ashtabula Depth options for Ashtabula

Default Depth options for Ashtabula

Getting ready fish Ashtabula for the first time. Talked to several captains, done lots of internet reading, just wanted to see if anyone had any comments and/or suggestions for getting lures down. Here's an overview as I understand it, comments and corrections?

Wire: been told this is the standard, AFW 12#. Seems pretty simple. Fill the reel and let out enough to get the right depth.

Lead core: sinks 5' per colour. One core will get to 50'. Need multiple reels loaded with different lengths

Jets: anyone use 50 jets??? Precision trolling app says they dive to 57ft

Have two Cannon electric downriggers mounted on boat. Use these?

How about copper line?

I think it is important to have confidence that your set up is going to work. I was fortunate to have been taught by some damn good seasoned veterans, methods that catch fish. I am in no way saying my method is better, it just know it works for me. Cannot comment on steel line because I've never used it. Found that copper, although it catches fish is very speed sensitive, sinks very fast if you slow down, like on turns, and you will be farming mussels. Hate it for walleye fishing, finally took it off my reels. With 2 guys fishing I like 2 dipseys on each side and 2 leadcore out the chute. With 3 guys, I will add 2 downriggers and maybe a 50 TruTrip. With 4 on board I will go with the big boards, each with 3 lines of 5 color lead, In line weights added as needed, two dipseys, two downriggers, and two leadcore straight back. It is important to keep working with a method that is most comfortable for you, and sticking with it till your ability to adjust your setup to precise depth becomes second nature very quickly. Most important. Good luck.

Best producing setup for me has been 2 dipsey's out each side and downrigger per side. Dipseys are set on 3 and 1, with 3 being the forward rod. The downriggers are mounted on the back corner and fished straight down. This gives me the open chute to bring them in.

Six lines on my boat keeps me busy.
    20' Sea Ray

Fished Conneaut /Ashtabula since 1990. Only fish 4-6 rods.
    Run Dispies with single strand stainless steel wire 6 ft leader 30 lb.
    spoons and harness mix'em up
    2 lines out the back @1.5 setting 60-80 ?? out approx as necessary
    2 on the corners @ 2.5 (6 Rods) 70-100 out ??
    2 on the sides @ 3.5 80-120 out ??
    The wire helps with shorter leads easier to control out of a smaller boat.
    Tried mixining it up mono,brad, wire. TOO much work.
    Rubycat is correct the wire will sink the add a dispy it sinks faster-speed is the key.
    But I use this at times, small quick turns cause fish to strike especially on the corner rods.
    It really is what you become comfortable using and have success with.
    With the stainless wire there is no stretch the dispy trips, strikes are hard and the fight you can feel every head shake.
    We were out 2 weeks ago got 3 keepers 20,28,29 all on harness off the rods out the back in 48-50 fow.
    I hear they are starting to pick them up in 60-70 fow now.
    I should be out this weekend and will post results.
    Good luck ! Be safe !

Thanks for all the great advice. Will be out saturday

Hi Echo, I purchased some new Okuma Convector 30's a couple of years ago. I spooled them with 300ft of mono, 300ft of braid and 300ft of wire. Seems to work good for me. Always remember that if you are using line counter reels they must have full spools to be accurate. Any time my wire breaks or I have to cut it due to tangles I always strip off the wire and accurately put back on 300ft of wire. When I'm letting out my lines I at least know that 300ft has gone out and then rest the counter and continue. I really never run mine steel lines past 375ft because this will do nothing to get deeper so I just change to a deeper diving lure. Hope this tip helps. Capt. Jeff
    2010 Baha Cruiser 277 GLE
    Call and book a trip today 724-624-0662