New to the forum with a few ??s of my own. New to the forum with a few ??s of my own. New to the forum with a few ??s of my own. New to the forum with a few ??s of my own.

Default New to the forum with a few ??s of my own.

I recently bought a 20.5" Center Console. I have fished for perch out of Conneaut and port clinton a few weeks ago for the jig bite. I have never tried fishing Conneaut this early in the year for perch. Am I wasting time trying to punch tickets? I have gone up the before and had 90 fish in before 930am and it was a blast. I want to take the wife and go but I want to wait until the bite is good.

Also I dont know anything about smallmouth fishing and what to use or where to find them this time of year. I recently hooked a 20" while jig fishing and it was the best fight I have ever had. So I wouldnt mind hooking up with any of them either. Any advice is helpful.

Thanks!

Perch are spawning or are about to spawn. They can be up\in the shallows (30-foot) or less right now. It can be good fishing if you find them. As far as smallies, they are pre-spawn and hungry right now. 15-25 foot of water and rocky bottom seems to be the best. I like heavier tube jigs, drop shpt methods or jigging of any method. But, we were searching for walleye the other day and picked up 12 smallies on one pass with body baits from bandits to DD Husky jerks.

Have fun, best smallies we have had in a few years.