questions about wireline questions about wireline questions about wireline questions about wireline

Default questions about wireline

is wireline just for trolling with spoons. How do you judge your depth.

Quote Originally Posted by brian markham View Post
    is wireline just for trolling with spoons. How do you judge your depth.
    Brian,
    you can troll any bait you want off of a wire line. We run spoons, harnessess, shallow or deep crank baits. The wire is just a means to get more depth, same concept as leadcore.
    Assuming you're refereing to the single strand stainless (or monel) wire you can get from companies like Cortland or American Fishing Wire, there isn't really much published data on diving depths. I've never seen a dive curve for them. One thing we do know about wire line; diving depth is speed dependant, slower = deeper. We run between 250-300' of wire line out to target deep fish; if on the inside of a to sharp turn we can drag bottom in 75' of water at ~2mph. For us this can happen whether using 10lb test or 30lb test wire. We typically figure we are running around 60'+ down with ~300' out, but that is just a gut feel.

Another type of wire line that is starting to be used for walleye is copper line. Bloodrun makes a 20lb test and has published depth charts for it on their website. Just note that copper lines currently have a much larger diameter than the stainless and require some pretty big reels in order to get a spool (100yds) on. Another thought on this, although you can't infer the dive depth for stainless based upon the copper dive curve, you can infer the shape of the curve since the behavior of the wires should be the same in the water.

I happened to acquire a depth probe recently, so I am planning on using it on my stainless wire setups to start pulling together some depth numbers next spring.

Default wire

Wire can be tough to deal with. When I run trips up East ( central basin )I use 10 pound single strand wire. Its used to get crankbaits down. If you want to pull jets, use the 50 Tripz early , then late summer the fish are deeper. I run the cranks about 350' back and run 2.4 to 2.8 mph. The baits are about the size of a #12 Rapala, RR 800's and etc. The target depth is 45 to 52 foot down in 70-75 feet of water. Dipseys , I run on a braid line. Usually run 2 on each side of the boat. A #1 setting at 100-125 and #3 setting 170-190ft. When letting out lures on wire line, you must keep your thumb on the spool while paying out line ! Birdnests and wraps are very common. You will be untangling line out of your reels, so you will need a tool like a scribe to help. Do not get kinks in the line. The wire is only 10 pound and kinks can break the wire. Use a mono leader of 6 feet in front of the lure. You also would need to learn how to wrap/ splice the lines together. I suggest going down to a marina and talking with a captain who uses wire regularly. Just so you can see it and get a better idea. Need any other help just ask.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Default wire

I use single strand ss wire run a deep plug and a spoon far back off the fly bridge but let it out slow and expect to loose a few lures and wire lot of guys will wreck it coming in or letting it out so expect that to happen but it can be a great bite may of times limited out just on wire also I use a floro leader and yes a 6lb steel head will trash it fast and just a heads up do not tighten down the drag all the way it has no stretch and can break a rod good luck grumpy out on 68

Default .010 wire

This stuff catches fish but breakoffs can happen. 31 walleyes on bagleys in 1 hr and 20 minutes using 4 wire lines in one memorable trip long ago and we spent a lot of time splicing broken wire during this event too. I switched to 20 lb braided Mason wire and have had no breaks except at the bitter end, which I am very careful to splice a mono leader using a crimp sleeve. Use of a spring tip top can minimize twists and snarls.

Cheers, Doc Wet [Everything has limitations...and I hate limitations.]