Dipsy setup help Dipsy setup help Dipsy setup help Dipsy setup help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dipsy setup help

I had three break offs yesterday with my dipsy's, if you would, help me identify the weak link. Breaks were between the diver and the bait.
    Current setup is 30# Power Pro braid main line, dipsy itself, 15# floro, then bait. My guess is 15# floro might be to lite and also I'm currently not using snubbber. So before I go out and buy a bunch of 30# floro and truck load of snubbers I would love to hear from you guys.
    Thanks
    20' Sea Ray

as you know there is no stretch in braided line. for most fish a 15# leader should be fine but for the big girls I like to use 20# seaguar fluro for my leader and a snubber is just something I think is a good idea with braided line. I lose a lot less fish on the way back to the boat with snubbers than without snubbers.
    sherman

Thanks Sharm,
    Yeah I need to figure out why the lines are breaking. Now that I finally have the drivers working for me this is a new problem. I did notice the crew I was fishing with was setting the hook harder then needed. Could of been breaking then, but the last break we had was before anyone got to the pole.
    Last break we had I turned around to see driver #1 bent hard in half, told my son to get it and before he could get there it had broken right at the rear driver swivel.
    I see two different snubbers, one with outer tube with braid backup inside and solid silicone one. Have use ever used either of these?
    20' Sea Ray

yea I have used both the solid snubber and the ones with braided line in the center. I think I like the ones with the braid in the center the best. but they both work and would just be a personal preference.

I found some on ebay that's made up with surgical tubing and then braid in them. I used these this year up on the central basin and they really worked great for us.

setting the hook to hard with a big fish will break 15 lb line pretty easy without a snubber. we had the same problem using 15 lb vanish line. switched to the 20 lb seaguar and added snubbers and that cured our problems. good luck.
    sherman
    Last edited by sherman51; 08-12-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    switched to the 20 lb seaguar and added snubbers and that cured our problems. good luck.
    sherman
    Thanks Sherm, I will make the switch to 20# and snubbers this week and test Friday and Saturday. I will check back with ya let you know how we made out.
    Thanks
    Last edited by skinny5382; 08-13-2013 at 04:45 AM.
    20' Sea Ray

Not knowing all the circumstances involved to answer this question or give sound advice . I would need to know a few things like:

How old is the leader line.

Are you tieing directly to the botton swivel of the dipsy,or swivels on both ends of the leader or a swivel on one end and a snap on the other end .

Were you baits in tune or fouled

Were you dragging a whitebass or white perch .

As for snubbers ,the only time I will use them is when we are targeting steel head . I run braided main line and 30# leader a snap swivel on the lure end and a snap on the dipsy end (to the dipsy swivel ).

I find that the main problem is leader twist and this is caused by fouled baits ,dragging a small fish or poor quality swivels or leader .

Default Good questions

All lines are new this season. Power Pro #30 main line and Seaguar #15 leader. Leader about 6 feet long.

Yes, I’m sure we have drug junk fish.

After a day of fishing we store the dispy’s with leader wrapped around the diver. I’ve noticed the leader has that memory to it as we start the day. Kind of a little kink if you will. I didn’t think bad enough to hurt anything.

Have a look at the pictures, this is my current setup. They should answer other questions of where the swivels are attached.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    20' Sea Ray

Default lines

I use a good 20 pound mono. p-line or a low viz green high quality line. Flourocarbon line has memory problem. I use 6ft leaders also, snubbers are a must with dipseys. I always use the same knots and they never break ( Polomar ). Set your trip bar alittle lighter on the trip tension. Don't need to set the hook, they already hooked themselves.Just enough pull on the rod to pull the trip bar out and keep the line tight and steady retrieve. I rarely have any issues with dpseys. I change the leaders occasionally after a lot of use to prevent twist and fray. Mainline is 30lb Power Pro.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by skinny5382 View Post
    All lines are new this season. Power Pro #30 main line and Seaguar #15 leader. Leader about 6 feet long.

Yes, I’m sure we have drug junk fish.

After a day of fishing we store the dispy’s with leader wrapped around the diver. I’ve noticed the leader has that memory to it as we start the day. Kind of a little kink if you will. I didn’t think bad enough to hurt anything.

Have a look at the pictures, this is my current setup. They should answer other questions of where the swivels are attached.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Looks good and that answers a few questions . I prefer 30# mono for the leader 7 1/2 ' (lenght of our rods ) . Gregnwtf tips on the adjustment of the trip tension is spot on . This might have solved your problem ,save the 15# mono for makeing perch rigs

Default Thanks

Popeye, Gregnwtf, Sherman
    Thanks for your help, we had great success Friday. Pulled some pretty heavy fish without any of the lines breaking. Pulled two 9 pounders with no trouble and believe it or not a huge Sheephead that had the pole bent in half (no breaks).
    New setup was:
    • Adjusted trip arm to lighter setting.
    • Snubbers behind dipsy.
    • #20 Leader

I had pictures to load up to show new setup but website won't upload for some reason. But the only final thing to improve is storage, wrapping that Fluorocarbon around the dipsy generates kinks that I don't like. Maybe its not a problem now. We will see.
    20' Sea Ray