How big is a big perch? How big is a big perch? How big is a big perch? How big is a big perch?

Default How big is a big perch?

How big do perch get? I lost one boat side yesterday while lifting it out of the water, it had to be every bit of 14 inches long. It was the longest perch I ever saw and my buddy who watched what was going on said the same thing. How big of perch have you guys caught?

Smile Big Fish

Hey Fred,

For me a keeper perch is 9+ inches but a big perch is 12+. Here is a link to the ODNR website that lists what size fish qualifies as a FISH OHIO FISH by species. For perch it is 13+ inches. It's a good reference.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/Fish...5/Default.aspx

D'arcy Egan had a recent article about Ohio record fish. Here is what he posted about perch.
    "With more than a million yellow perch caught each year from Lake Erie, many think the mark may fall some day soon. The 2.75-pound, 14 1/2-inch Lake Erie perch landed by the late Charles Thomas of Lorain, has been around since April 17, 1984. With Pymatuning Reservoir now a hot spot for perch, and filled with forage, the next record could be set at the huge reservoir on the Ohio-Pennsylvania border."
    As you can see I had some extra time to kill this morning.

Good Fishing

Tag
    Last edited by TAG; 08-31-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added Information

Erie Sheppard Guest

Default big perch

14" is a big perch. State record is 14 1/2"
    Last edited by Erie Sheppard; 08-31-2009 at 05:43 PM.

koolio Guest

i nailed a 14" perch last fall off of lorain...every bit of 1.5 pounds...

Default Big Perch

A big perch is 14" on Lake Erie...and one that length can weigh anywhere from 15 oz. to nearly 3 lbs...depending on feed and time of year. I won a contest some years ago with a 1 lb. 14 oz. perch that was exactly 14" long.

Cheers, Docwet

our state record is 2lbs and 11z. length doesn't matter, just weight.
    now if your looking to get a citation, there is a minimum for seniors & juniors to meet

7. Default

A client brought one aboard my boat at 2.28lbs this year. That is right around 2lbs 4.5oz. It had a 12 5/8 girth and was 15" long.

Big Dave Long Point On
    10,050 perch this year So far!
    Last edited by Big Dave Long Point On; 09-24-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add picture