1956 jOHNSON 10 hP 1956 jOHNSON 10 hP 1956 jOHNSON 10 hP 1956 jOHNSON 10 hP

Default 1956 jOHNSON 10 hP

What is the recomended oil to gas mixture for this engine . I plan on useing it as a kicker .

According to iboats the gas/oil ratio for that engine is 24/1 (1 quart oil to 6 gallons of gas)!

If it was mine I would start with a ratio of 16:1 then if you foul out the plugs with to much oil then reduce the oil to 24:1. It would be better to foul plugs than to fry your engine with not enough oil to lube it.

The ratio may be stamped on the serial number/id plate they used to rivet to the motor. The standard ratios for the older engines are 16:1, 24:1 and 32:1 it has to be one of those three ratios. The newer the engine is, the higher gas to oil ratio. The older engines will run with standard 30 weight non detergent oil. We ran ours for years that way, not even sure they made a regular 2 cycle oil back then. Oil came in a metal can that you had use a pour spout to get the oil out.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-22-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    According to iboats the gas/oil ratio for that engine is 24/1 (1 quart oil to 6 gallons of gas)!

If it was mine I would start with a ratio of 16:1 then if you foul out the plugs with to much oil then reduce the oil to 24:1. It would be better to foul plugs than to fry your engine with not enough oil to lube it.

The ratio may be stamped on the serial number/id plate they used to rivet to the motor. The standard ratios for the older engines are 16:1, 24:1 and 32:1 it has to be one of those three ratios. The newer the engine is, the higher gas to oil ratio. The older engines will run with standard 30 weight non detergent oil. We ran ours for years that way, not even sure they made a regular 2 cycle oil back then. Oil came in a metal can that you had use a pour spout to get the oil out.
    Thank you for your response .

I have a 1957 7.5HP Johnson. It runs so sweet. I run mine at the recommended level of 24:1. I wouldn't run with less oil, even though the oils today are much better. It smokes a little, especially at idle, but I've never had problems with fouled plugs.