Kicker install on 24 Thompson HT I/0 Kicker install on 24 Thompson HT I/0 Kicker install on 24 Thompson HT I/0 Kicker install on 24 Thompson HT I/0

Default Kicker install on 24 Thompson HT I/0

I looking to install/outfit a kicker on my 24ft Thompson I/O.

Here is what I'm looking to do. My Dad has a 28hp merc 4 stroke non tiller electric start long shaft on a 15ft trihull. Motor is a 1998 with less than a 100hrs on it, motor weights around 100lbs. Boat,motor and trailer for 1k.

The motor some will say is more than needed but for the price i can live with it.

I need advice with the best set-up for steering and throttle control for the kicker.

Looking at Trollmaster for the throttle control but will have to call them to ask if their unit will work on this outboard, servo connection to throttle body.

Panther has the steering unit that might do the job in combination with Trollmaster throttle control. If I can stay with cables tied into steering wheel that would be the route that I would obviously take

There are several mounting brackets available. But if anyone has a favorite.
    Not going with a hydraulic, just manual with a strong spring to help with the lift.

Any direction and advice would be appreciated...!

Thanks

Ed
    Last edited by SmilinEd; 03-31-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Can't you use the throttle controls from the tir-hull? As far as bracket, I know for me an electric trim mounting bracket would be a must have, there no way Id pull my back out everytime I needed to lift that motor up to run, helper spring or not.
    If you have an auto pilot, you could tye your kicker to the main engine with an easy steer setup. Panther steer.. they work but for me are a PIA, some guys love em. I have one I might do a deal on if your interested. I don't use it any more, it was perfect for handlining.
    You will love the throttle master set up, if your handy you can make your own for pretty cheap, just buy the parts, do a little soliding, make a bracket and bingo.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Ebijack,

Haven't got the tri-hull home yet to really look it over. I had same thoughts as you about the controls. Why re-invent the wheel as the saying goes.

I'll have to look/measure steering/throttle cable lengths or get new ones that would fit the boat.

Before I start drilling holes I will make dnam sure this is the route I want to take.

I will keep it in mind that you have a easy steer set-up. Thanks

Ed

I have a 24ft Thompson HT and did mount a 8 hp motor on it. I tied it to outdrive for steering. But the big problem with that boat is that they set so high out of the water that they are extreamly hard to raise and lower just from a reach factor. I just ended up taking it off and went back to trolling with big motor as I had always done. Taking it off made a major difference for me running on plane that I noticed right away. Not trying to scar you just what I ran into.