Lund - Crestliner - Starcraft - Alumacraft? Lund - Crestliner - Starcraft - Alumacraft? Lund - Crestliner - Starcraft - Alumacraft? Lund - Crestliner - Starcraft - Alumacraft?
    sqdqo Guest

Default Lund - Crestliner - Starcraft - Alumacraft?

Whose hull is best, who's is worst? Are any of the aluminum hull manufacturers better than others? Whose should you stay away from? Some years better than others?

kingsalmon Guest

Thumbs down starcraft boat

i got a starcraft fishmaster, 2003 196io modle. the boat was very nice an was well equipt for fishing lake erie, but after a few years the stringers an the welds busted on it an it took in a lot of water each time i used it. as time wore on i finally realized the promblem an called up the company an they said that it was due from rough seas. i said thats bull $#% the boat is only a few years old an so we had to take it to a company that does welding in NY an they shop people there said its starcrafts falt due to a falty product. soo to make a long story shot i ended up paying 5 grand to get it fixed an then have it survayed that i had to pay for!!! ( no help from the insurance company!) an i still got it but each time i take it out i get madd about how the company did not back up there product!!! dont listen to that life time warrenty bs, they will come up with anything to save money. so based on my experiences with starcraft i am NOT happy at all so i got a new boat. hope this helps a lil.

Exclamation Crestliner 22 walk around cuddy

I have a 22 foot Crestliner walk around cuddy, 305 chevy I/O.
    It is an excellent boat for gas milage. I use a 15hp kicker which mounts in the crestliner kicker transom, without any brackets, and attaches directly to steering wheel without any additional tie rod links. Boat is good on open water, but a handfull in small harbours like Sturgeon Point, when there is a stiff breeze. Boat likes to drift sideways when windy because the bottom of the hull is very shallow V. It is not bad on calm days. All crestliner models have the same problem, and I'm guessing all aluminum boats with a lot of free board, do the same thing.
    Aluminum boats also trailer easily with any 1/2 ton pick up or SUV, without sucking too much gas. That's a big deal thses days.

My brother has an 18 ft aluminum Sea Nymph, which I have fished from many times. It handles rough water well, and handles well in the wind, but it is much smaller than my boat nad has less free board.

Default my preference for aluminum boats

If I was to buy the choice of those 4 brands.
    I have looked at and fished out of a lot of boats and have seen several brands out on Erie. I see how some of the handle rough conditions.
    I think they are brave soles out on the lake on some days.
    I think I would pick Lund first and Alumicraft next.
    You pay for what you get. I think Triton is now making aluminum boats, not sure.
    Lund is by far a well made boat. Go to a dealer a take a long look before you by.

ChasinWalleye Guest

Default Boat choice

Buying a boat is a personal choice ! i have been in many different brands of boats large and small. I have always bought Lund boats my entire life and always will.because they are in my opinion the best built rough water boat on the market.

I have a 2001 crestliner that I have owned since new. extremely wet ride but a great fishing boat. it's been thru many tourney's on erie and saginawbay and always gotten me back safely. more fishable than many larger boats I fish out of. lunds are great boats also with tons of storage. if I could afford it, I would go glass.

I would chose a Crestliner or a Lund, actually I went with a Crestliner. Both boats are great, reliable and well rounded for all fishermen. The choice is all based on your personal preferences and how much $ you want to sink into it.

I bought my 2006 Triton DV176 in 2008, it gets beaten regularly on Erie and has been an excellent boat. The build quality is top notch as attention to detail.