Battery Question Battery Question Battery Question Battery Question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Battery Question

Well, the boat has been sitting in the garage for about 3 weeks and I went out to trim the outboard motor up so I could move it. Nothing. The battery is dead.

I checked all the toggles and electrical components and they are all off, so nothing was left on.

The boat is a 2012 Crestliner Superhawk with a 115 hp Mercury outboard on it.

I doubt the boat has more than 50 hours on it.

I do not have a gang charger on it, so I'm open to suggestions on charging it up (going to have to do something) to get the motor in the up trim position for transportation.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Well either your engine is not charging while it's running ( not likely) or something was left on, an interior or livewell light, a pump, it doesn't take much. If the battery is that dead it might be a lost cause, depends on low it got drained. You can use a jumpbox to trim it up, just hook it to your battery and while your at it look for what drained it dead. Some of those crestliner lights you tap the light to turn it on/off, the switch is in the light.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a black & decker automatic charger, and the few times i,ve had to charge a completely dead battery my charger wouldnt even start charging it. the way i got it to charge was i hooked up a 12v light to the battery and then started the charger. with the light drawing a current from the charger it was enough to get the charger to work. then after the battery was partly charged i was able to remove the light and let it charge on the lowest amp. this has worked a couple of times for me after i left something on and discharged the battery untill it was dead. the last time i did it was in my truck. the glove compartment light was left on. the charger just kept giving me a code the battery was bad. i turned on the dome lights and started the charger. the dome lights came on real low at first, but the charger was working. i only had it set on 4 amps. after the charger charged for awhile i turned the dome lights out. the battery charged up and i am still using it.

as for what caused your battery to go dead i dont have a clue. it is possable the battery just went bad, it happens. but if you can get it to charge back up and it holds the charge then something was probably left on. if you have a float switch on your sump pump, make sure something doesnt have it stuck in the up position. good luck.
    sherman

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone. I went to Auto Zone and bought a 6v/ 12v 2 amp/12v 6 amp charger and hooked it upfor 12v 6 amp it came right up.

I went over the toggles and I see that at least on the Crestliner 1800 Superhawk that when the toggles are all the way down, that means that there at least two systems that are running to include lights and some bilge functions, so that indeed would have run it down.

I think the wife decided to clean the boat and turned all toggles to the down position (at least I'm going to blame her.)

My son is coming home from the Marine Corps after 4 1/2 years of service and I haven't seen him in over 1 year and 2 months since he was deployed to Afghanistan for 7 months and has a duty station in California and I wanted to take him out once since he's never seen the boat. He may be home in about a week or so.

I know Ohio falls are bad, but hope I can go out one more time, especially with him.

Thanks again.

DAle