Alternator/Amps Alternator/Amps Alternator/Amps Alternator/Amps
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternator/Amps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternator/Amps

Asking for some insight on increasing amps on boat.

I'm looking at having my alternator rebuilt/modify. Nothing is wrong with it other than manual tells me its generating only 55 amps... (92 GM 305)

I have been adding new electronics to the boat and feel 55amps is kinda on the low side of things. Hoping to get it bumped to 75/80 amps.

Any thoughts would be apperciated.

TIA

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

I would think a new replacement altenator ( with the same bolt pattern...make sure) would be at least 105 amps. Also the new alt. put out full amps just off idle instead of at 1200 rpm.It will probably have a new connector, but maybe not. Depending on where you get yours rebuilt, they should be able to rewind yours and use the newer magnets to get your amps where you'd like. But make sure you check as most new boats have much higher amp requirements, so the alt. were made to support that. Just a thought.
    check here? http://www.great-water.com/pages/Amptech/Amptech1.htm
    Last edited by ebijack; 04-10-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ebijack,

Called your place and they needed more info than i could give them over the phone at work.

I also called another place called Arco Marine, http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/Cros...lternator.html

Talked with a guy by the name Kenny, he was real helpful. going to stay with what I have right now. He said if I was running appliances then go with the bigger alternator. But with just a few electronics my system would be enough.

Thanks for your help anyhow..

Best to you

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Try lakeland auto and marine in port clition oh they rebuilt one for me a few years ago they do nice work for far price