Finding a used outboard questions Finding a used outboard questions Finding a used outboard questions Finding a used outboard questions

Exclamation Finding a used outboard questions

Hey gang,

This past season my 1992 150 HP Force OB etched a cylinder and I had to make decision whether to rebuild or re-power. Without too much thought I chose to re-power. After researching my options going forward and getting opinions from this site, I think I have settled on looking for a mid-1990's Johnson/Evinrude, carbuerated, 135-150 hp OB. I chose this partly because my budget, total, will fall somewhere $2,500-$3,000, and a few guys here said I should be able to find what I am looking for in that price range.

I called a recommended dry-dock/dealer today and told him to keep his eyes out over the next few months for me. He thought that what I expected to pay for such an engine (I told him $2,00-$2,500 plus install) was low. He said to call back in a few weeks and he would tell me what he found and give me an idea of prices.

Now, I know how negotiations work, trust me. So him telling me I needed to spend more didn't shock me, but I figured I would check with the knowledgeable individuals here to see what the prevailing opinion was. Basically I want to know if my expectations are unrealistic (total price (install included) @ $3,000 minus whatever they would give me for my trade in that could be parted out)

Let me know what you think, and if I am not thinking of anything I should.

Also, any idea where I can go to find used outboards near the Buffalo, NY area? I tink I might be best served buying from a dealer since buying on ebay or craiglsit seems risky for me-especially since I am not super mechanically inclined.

Thanks,

Matt

Default motor prices book value!

Here is the nada outboard motor price guide page for Evinrude top link and the bottom link is for Johnson. These will give you an idea of motor worth and you would have installation on top of that! I believe they quit making Johnsons in 2007. Add 10 t0 15% for dealer purchase!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2011...utboard-Motors

http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/2007...utboard-Motors
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip