kicker problems kicker problems kicker problems kicker problems

Thread: kicker problems

Default kicker problems

OK...I am going to attempt to explain this and I just hope someone understands what I am talking about. I have a 1969 Aluminum Starcraft that, despite its age, is a very nice walleye boat (thanks to an unthinkable and sometimes regrettable investment on my part). Anyway, I am acquiring a 6 hp Merc for a kicker motor but am having a hard time imagining how to mount. If any of you are familiar with the '69 Starcraft, the transom gradually slopes down and then levels out for the main outboard mount. I am afraid that I will not be able to have the room necessary to trim the kicker up enough to get it out of the water. I think it will end up hitting the transom. I thought about a kicker bracket, but I think this puts it too far back to reach. Should I cut out the transom to allow the kicker to trim up adequately? If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful. I am a regular do-it-yourselfer and prefer not to employ a marina for help with money being a bit tight right now. Thanks!

Default could this work

Not sure if this will work in your situation. Back in the 1980s my dad and I bought an Imperial with an oddly shaped transom. We could not fit a motor bracket on to it, so my dad's cousin, a carpenter, cut a piece of wood (I think it was teak, but treated lumber might probably work, too) to fit the shape. We bolted the mounting bracket through the wood and transom and sealed up the edges. Ran an 8-horse Evinrude off it until I traded in the boat about 5 years ago. Worked like a charm.

Default Thanks

Appreciate the info. I may have to wait until I can afford a power trim option becasue my splash well is so deep that I would have a hard time reaching back and dropping/lifting the motor on the mount even if I find a good way to mount it.