Think I might have goofed. Think I might have goofed. Think I might have goofed. Think I might have goofed.
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    billfish Guest

Default Think I might have goofed.

Changed oil in my outboard today, main engine went ok, started up kicker motor and forgot to turn water on for about a minut. Shut down motor got water on, when I restarted motor I had trouble getting water to come out top hole, I had to hold the rubbers on the muffs tight to the intake to get water to come out the small hole near top of motor.
    This is a 9.9 Mercury Pro kicker.
    Did I ruin the pump running it dry for this short time?
    Any advice.
    Thanks for any advice.

Tonys Guest

Try a wire coat hanger. I quite often pick up sand that clogs that area. The hanger works great to clear it.

ohiobass Guest

Default water pump

sounds like you may have melted your impeller a bit (I think they're plastic). I'd have it checked asap!

snake charmer Guest

the impellers are rubber finned and the will melt in about 20-30 seconds with no water

walleye65 Guest

it is a sure bet you ruined the impeller the thing you had better worry about is did you over heat the power head the aluminum block does not like excessive heat

Post Thanks / Like

If you put your location in your profile it might help you out. someone just might live around the corner from you to give you a hand.