Trolling with large 2 stroke outboard Trolling with large 2 stroke outboard Trolling with large 2 stroke outboard Trolling with large 2 stroke outboard
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling with large 2 stroke outboard

Looking for some input/advice from those of you with trolling experience. I just purchased a new boat (used, but new to me) last November. Other than the sea trials, I haven't even had a chance to get it out yet. The boat is a 28' Aquasport walkaround with twin Mercury 200 EFI. These are the 2 stroke fuel injected Merc's not the opti's. I like to troll the western basin like most of you with cranks in the spring and fall, and spoons during the summer. I am interested in your opinions on trolling with larger 2 stroke outboard motors. I have researched the internet pretty extensively and it seems like opinions are all over the place. Some say they do it all the time without any trouble, others say it carbs up the motors and causes trouble. I'm looking for actual experiences on this topic.

I'm trying to decide whether I want to run two trolling bags off each side to allow for a higher rpm or spend the money for a kicker and additional rigging. I'm not too concerned about running up the hours on the main engines. They are very low for their age, and I would alternate engines to keep hours equal. I also plan on using the Mercury Quickleen fuel additive to help with carb buildup.

Do you think I will be ok trolling with the big motors, or should I plan to invest in a kicker setup?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Knowing what I know today! I would figure out how to install a (4 stroke)kicker and be done with it. So much easier and you could even pipe it in to the main fuel tank if your Outboards are oil injected. Since you have 2 large engines you could most likely get by with a 5 hp 4 stroke since you only need it for trolling and not used for a backup.

Just so you know if you decide to go with the kicker that all of the small 4 strokes are made by 4 companies. Tohatsu make their own brand as well as the smaller Evinrudes, Mercuries and Nissans, on most of these the parts are interchangeable in the same hp range. Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki make their own company named motors. I put a kicker on my boat 5 years ago and have never looked back, wish I had done it years years before that.
    Last edited by wakina; 02-18-2016 at 05:04 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

get a 4 stroke better on fuel no fumes less noise.You will be glad you did.The initial expense is hard to swallow but well worth it. good luck with your decision

Post Thanks / Like

Your trolling speed will be a bit high for some crankbaits using the big engine, guessing just under 3 MPH as is at idle. Yes you can troll using the big 2 stroke engine. BUT, the oil you use and type spark plugs is critical to insure the plugs won't fowl and help control coking. Like mentioned, a kicker would allow better speed control which also allows other baits to be ran. As far as a 4 stroke having no fumes. Yes you don't smell the carbon monoxide of a 4 stroke ( but it is there just the same), the 2 stroke you can smell the burnt oil mixed into the carbon monoxide when trolling down wind letting you know your inhaling carbon monoxide. You will also save a lot on fuel using a kicker to troll. As far as experience, I've owned 2 stroke outboards for 30+ yrs. But I also have hundreds of hours of 2 stroke and 4 stroke dyno development experience. Actually the now Opti fuel system and injectors were designed at GM for GM's own 2 stroke engines, also adjustable exhaust port technology/timing that ended up being sold to Honda. Back in the late 80's into the early 90's the big 3 had plans to put 2 strokes into vehicles. 200lbs less weight, lower hood design and great mileage. 1991, GM's 6 cyl and 3 cyl ( GM design and castings etc) 2 strokes met 1996's vehicle emission standards. Just could not get past the government's 100,000 mile emission control parts requirements without having to replacing the catalytic converter at 50,000 miles. EPA turned down the requests to allow replacement at the vehicle manufactures expense. They would start to clog after 50,000 miles. Everything was scrapped and sold. Merc continued their own testing and development to come out with their Opti with GM's information. Mercury did help in the early stages with 2 stroke information and GM traded 4 stroke information to Merc. Lots of testing and development and lessons learned. Oil, type and control of and spark plugs make a huge difference in the life and running of a 2 stroke. Sorry for the crappy photos. But they were taken from a 1991 video. But it gives you the idea.

Last edited by ebijack; 02-19-2016 at 06:16 AM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting replies, please keep them coming. Ebijack - I plan on running the nothing but the Mercury Premium Plus 2 stoke oil. I've already heard from Mercury mechanics that this will help with the smoking that these engines are notorious for. Additionally, when I took the boat out on sea trial, I was able to get my speed down to 2.5 mph running just one engine. Please bear in mind, that was without any assistance from trolling bags. If I were to decide to troll with one of the big engines, I would also use two bags - one on each side. Theoretically, this should allow me to run the engine at a slightly higher rpm while maintaining speeds close to 1 mph. I've also read that running the engine at a slightly higher rpm will produce a cleaner burn and less likelihood of carbon buildup.

Post Thanks / Like

In my 200Hp Merc I found running the zero gap Nippondenso worked best in that engine for 12+ yrs. But it was carbed, not EFI. Just for your info.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here's a couple more questions for you.

1. If I was to decide to go with a 4 stroke kicker, what size would you reccomend? Would a 9.9 hp be enough, or would I need a 15?
    2. If I did do a kicker, I think I would want it piped into main main fuel tank. I would probably also want the steering rod connection not a tiller. What should I expect to pay for all the rigging?
    3. Do anyone have recommendations, where I could go locally to have a kicker installed and setup?

Thanks Again for all the input.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiga-Byte View Post
    Ok, here's a couple more questions for you.

1. If I was to decide to go with a 4 stroke kicker, what size would you reccomend? Would a 9.9 hp be enough, or would I need a 15?
    2. If I did do a kicker, I think I would want it piped into main main fuel tank. I would probably also want the steering rod connection not a tiller. What should I expect to pay for all the rigging?
    3. Do anyone have recommendations, where I could go locally to have a kicker installed and setup?

Thanks Again for all the input.
    Having 2 big outboards you would not need a kicker big enough to get you home if something was to happen to one of the big outboards! I have a 23 ft pro line and can get about 7 GPS speed without any aid from my main motor at full throttle or 3/4 throttle as I have reach my boats hull speed. You have to remember that even the big outboard would be off center and you would probably get no more than hull speed out of it if you had to use just one to come in on.

Your 2 outboards probably weigh about the same as my one I/O with exhaust headers and out drive. Allot of people go with a 15 or even a 20 but are also relying on that kicker to get them home in a pinch since they only have one main drive motor. With a 9.9 hp you should be able to get the trolling speed that you need at less than 1/4th throttle and probably even less than that. Look for a HIGH THRUST model(different gears and bigger prop) so it does not have to work so hard with the drive train. If you had a single drive engine then I would say 15 hp minimum. I have to bow out on the other questions as I did my work myself.
    Last edited by wakina; 02-19-2016 at 03:17 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip