Conundrum Conundrum Conundrum Conundrum
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Conundrum

Post Thanks / Like

I would be happy to trade fillets for cheeks. I have tried cooking all types of fish a hundred different ways and still can't get it down. Instant gag the second I taste that fishy taste. I can eat the cheeks though and they are delicious. The only time I've ever actually enjoyed eating fish, it was mahi mahi that we caught two hours before we grilled it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
    I would be happy to trade fillets for cheeks. I have tried cooking all types of fish a hundred different ways and still can't get it down. Instant gag the second I taste that fishy taste. I can eat the cheeks though and they are delicious. The only time I've ever actually enjoyed eating fish, it was mahi mahi that we caught two hours before we grilled it.
    You're not getting them clean enough before you cook them then. If you remove all that brownish red stuff that is on the fillet...between the meat and skin... (ALL of it)... and, remove the blood line...you will not get a fishy taste at all...zero...zip...nada. I promise. That's where that icky taste comes from. Just take the extra time it takes to clean them properly. You won't gag anymore and you'll enjoy the meal.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    You're not getting them clean enough before you cook them then. If you remove all that brownish red stuff that is on the fillet...between the meat and skin... (ALL of it)... and, remove the blood line...you will not get a fishy taste at all...zero...zip...nada. I promise. That's where that icky taste comes from. Just take the extra time it takes to clean them properly. You won't gag anymore and you'll enjoy the meal.
    Still won't work. I'd bleed them for 15 minutes when we got back to the sick (boat had a livewell and they were still alive), cut them, zipper them, remove any dark meat and have nothing but a bleach white fillet left. Grilling them, baking them, bragging and frying/deep frying them, fishy taste is still there. Even a hint of it and I'm done. I've been able to take a bite or two when it's still streaming right off the grill, but as soon as it cools down that taste comes back. It's not a big deal though, my wife, dad and kids all love it grilled, so I just throw a burger, deer burger or a couple of brats with sauerkraut on the grill and we all eat well. My mother doesn't like fish either, so we usually have to make something else anyways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman86 View Post
    Still won't work. I'd bleed them for 15 minutes when we got back to the sick (boat had a livewell and they were still alive), cut them, zipper them, remove any dark meat and have nothing but a bleach white fillet left. Grilling them, baking them, bragging and frying/deep frying them, fishy taste is still there. Even a hint of it and I'm done. I've been able to take a bite or two when it's still streaming right off the grill, but as soon as it cools down that taste comes back. It's not a big deal though, my wife, dad and kids all love it grilled, so I just throw a burger, deer burger or a couple of brats with sauerkraut on the grill and we all eat well. My mother doesn't like fish either, so we usually have to make something else anyways.
    Oh my.... how unfortunate for you.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

It's a mixed bag. On one hand, I do love burgers and brats. On the other, I make fish tacos with homemade mango salsa and I'm told they're fantastic, I would love to try them someone. Grilled chicken is an okay substitute, but I really wish I could find a way to do the fish. Either way, as Wakina said, happy wife, happy life, and my wife is always happy when I make her some walleye!

Post Thanks / Like

Right…

I have a buddy that's the same way. Not sure why… but as Juls said, cleaning makes all the difference in the world. This buddy just can't get himself to even try it now. I say it is a mental block… he disagrees.

Post Thanks / Like

i have gotten quart bags of cheeks from a professional cleaner that owns a bait shop, the fish market on telegraph sells them buy the pound i bought some they were frozen not fresh. they are so easy to take out just start at edge with fillet knife and scoop out only takes a few seconds when i take my walleye to cleaners i take them home and zip them and take out all the red meat before i freeze them i tried to freeze them and then clean them before a ate them they had a little fishy taste but sometimes i like that as long as i know where the fish come from and was handled properly. but i never had a yellow perch that taste bad. now fish for supper tomorrow with homemade tarter sauce which hides a little bit of the fish taste

Post Thanks / Like

Try soaking fish fillets in milk. Some people swear by it couple hours before frying. Say it takes all fish flavor away