Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer Non Canadian Walleye Fishing in the Summer
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to go out today from Kelleys. First time out this year. Just trolling 2 lines because i'll be alone. I expect to go north of K.I. shoals. Would appreciate updated trolling speeds and water depths and fishing depth. I will be using spoons and dipseys. Is the size of spoon critical? 2.5" to 3"?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

You can catch on both sizes, but I've had more luck on the smaller Michigan stinger spoons.

Post Thanks / Like

Went out about three hours Monday about noon. North and east of Gull shoal then to K.I. shoal. About 3 hours of nothing but thousands of midges.
    used Pink and purple spoons, 1.9 to 2.3 MPH with dipsies. Worked a depth of 20 to 30 feet of water. Just me with 2 lines out, Not even sheepshead. I think I will wait until I see some positive reports on the forum around Kelleys island.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck E. View Post
    Went out about three hours Monday about noon. North and east of Gull shoal then to K.I. shoal. About 3 hours of nothing but thousands of midges.
    used Pink and purple spoons, 1.9 to 2.3 MPH with dipsies. Worked a depth of 20 to 30 feet of water. Just me with 2 lines out, Not even sheepshead. I think I will wait until I see some positive reports on the forum around Kelleys island.

I was out Saturday northeast of Kelley's for about 5 hours with my dad and my son who is 7 years old. It was extremely slow, but we did manage to pull 3 decent eyes. One went for 27 inches. We were pulling a combination of crawler harnesses and stinger spoons. Two were caught on crawler harnesses with serrated willow blades, and the other was caught on a pinkle/purple spoon. We got some decent marks, but couldn't entice many of them to bite. I think they are still feasting on mayflies. Oddly enough we caught zero junk fish. No white bass, no sheeps, only the 3 walleye. Listening to channel 79 as we were fishing, it sounded like the charters were having about the same luck. Some said they had around 10 Walleye, but I imagine they had more people on board, and consequently more lines in the water. Hopefully the mayfly hatches will be ending soon, and the fishing will get better.

Post Thanks / Like

The midges were f***ing terrible out by West Sister on Sunday. I don't know if I've ever had less fun in a non life-threatening day on the lake. It was a beautiful day, just a slow bite and the bugs. We'll be back up on the 16th for a long weekend, hopefully the lake will settle down a bit and the fishing will go back to normal.