Best clips for planer boards Best clips for planer boards Best clips for planer boards Best clips for planer boards
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best clips for planer boards

First time out running planer boards today. Should have easily had our 2 man limit, but seemed like we spent more time fighting with the boards than fishing. The learning curve was brutal. We were running 4 Church Tackle Walleye boards, and 2 Offshore Tackle planer boards. The Church boards came highly recommended by others on this forum, but we were having trouble with the clips. Even after wrapping 2-3 times they were continually pulling off the front clip. We actually had to turn around and go retrieve the boards on 3 different occasions. We were using the double action tattle flags, so we couldn't use the rear pin to keep from losing board. Not sure what we were doing wrong, but looking for advice.

The yellow boards worked quite a bit better, but the only problem we had with those, was a couple of times the fish pulled the board completely under water and we lost them in retrieval. All the fish we did catch were hogs, right around 10 lbs - so not sure if that had anything to do with the boards getting pulled under.

Im wondering if anyone runs the Church boards with a different clip than what comes standard. Also wondered if the line had anything to do with it. We were running all 30lb superlines - mostly Fireline and Spiderwire.

Post Thanks / Like

In case anyone is going out tomorrow, I will also mention that we were trolling just North of Mouse Island, and working across the Ferry routes towards the firing change. All very large fish in that location. Deep Husky Jerks, Reef Runners and Perfect 10's all produced fish. 20 - 30 ft behind board.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why you were having trouble with the standard clips that came on The Walleye boards. Maybe tighten the nut? Also, there's no reason you can't use the pin on the board if you're using the flags. Put your line in the front clips, pull up on the pin and stick the line in there, then pull a little slack and put them in the rear clips.

I know a lot of people will recommend different clips than come standard on both sets, but I've never had trouble with any of the 4 Walleye boards we run. My only suggestion is to tighten down the nut on the front clip. If you're having to wrap them, they're far too loose.

Good luck, tight lines and stay dry!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Church super clips at the back of the boards, and yellow Offshore clips on the front of my Offshore boards. Never had to wrap. But I prefer to have the front clip release so even if the fish take the board under, your only fighting the fish, not the board. And when the front release lets off, the board will fall out of formation headed to the rear of the boat automatically.
    Like mentioned, tighten the screw down on your Church front clip. Make sure your putting the line all the way to the back of the clip where it is almost hitting the screw. You should not be able to even jerk that line out of there while holding the board. I know with mine, braid will try to cut into your skin before you can rip that braided line out.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool fix for inline planers

that front clip that should be utilized for inline planers, particularily Offshore's, is the Sure snap which are black in color and cost around 13.00+ a pop, they NEVER EVER let go, I'll use the red snap on the back, the next highest tension of snaps, never use the yellow or black ones that come with the board.Too much frustration retrieving boards The Sure snap you can adjust the tension and what a relief it is when you use them especially in late July when you have all that crap floating around on top of the water after storms.
    I've had snags, hog fish and seaweed on these Offshore boards before and they are fail safe and reliable.Thank Ohio native Bruce Deshano for his insights in developing this easy to use and kill the walleye technology.Why fuss with old technology of old planer boards that pizz other fishermen off when they are pulling in the area of tight pods of fish.Hope this helps..... save me some of those hogs..lol
    Last edited by limitlypps; 04-12-2015 at 06:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the Church boards for several years now and would like you to know that I had the same problem when I first started using them. The problem when fixed, will let you truly enjoy their use.

If the line has already slipped thru the clip the clip is most likely ruined. There is one thing that you can do to get more use out of the clips if the line has destroyed the gripping ability of the clip. You can tighten down the screw as mentioned then you can half hitch a small rubber band between the clip and the pin on the rear of the board. Keep the rubber band close to the front clip. The board will still want to slide down the line to the bait but the rubber band will stop the board from moving. Of course the lure should be left out the proper amount of distance before attaching the board and rubber band . The rubber band will wind right up thru the rod guides and the level wind on the reel so you do not have to remove it each time you retrieve your lure.

Use a Phillips screw driver and tighten down the screw on the front clip. If the clip has been ruined then I would replace it with the super clip ebijack has mentioned. You can get them from Franks Great Outdoors and I believe they come in a 2 pack! Adjust them the same as the standard clip and don’t look back. There should be no line movement once the clip is adjusted right.

http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/f...ip-436675.html

I don’t use the OffShore boards so I cannot give any advise on their use.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

We did tighten down the clamps on the front clips, but it didnt seem to make a difference. The line would come free of the clip just letting it out. It would be like 20 feet out planing away from the boat and just break free spinning the board around backwards. There wasnt even really any waves yesterday, the lake was like glass. I cant imagine how much trouble we would have had on a typical day with 2 - 3 footers. I read that Church makes a clip called the lockjaw clip. Wondering if anyone has experience with that clip? Or is it just something Im doing wrong with stock clips? Cant imagine the stock clips are ruined as one post suggested. These were brand new and just used for first time yesterday.

We did tighten the screws and had the line towards the back. Not sure what problem was.

Post Thanks / Like

i forget which ones are the yellow boards, but on those boards i run the regular clip up front and a huge swivel style clevis on the back. Been doing this for years havent lost a board yet. The only way that board is coming off is it i break the line, and that hasnt happened yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't like them! Lock Jaw clips are a PIA to clip and unclip from the line! I like the super clip, it was designed to run with braids and super lines.
    Last edited by wakina; 04-12-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow boards without a pin in the back would be the OffShore or possibly the yellow bird boards.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS