Best clips for planer boards Best clips for planer boards Best clips for planer boards Best clips for planer boards
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the boards now. Should I tighten the screw on the front clip all the way down? So that it just barely allows the braid to fit in there? Maybe we didnt tighten enough. The line was only 8lb diameter and very slick superline.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good input coming in. And I appreciate all the replies. I do have a question about the Church Super Clip that is recommended. How much different is that clip than the stock clip? It looks like it's only metal? Does it have a rubber pad on the inside?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiga-Byte View Post
    Very good input coming in. And I appreciate all the replies. I do have a question about the Church Super Clip that is recommended. How much different is that clip than the stock clip? It looks like it's only metal? Does it have a rubber pad on the inside?
    For me, the super clips hold much tighter than the regular Church clips, I have both but rely on the super clips. Yes the rubber pad is a different material from what I can tell.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

They are made specifically for braid and the other super lines. They are constructed from stainless steel and have a different type of coating on the surface.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiga-Byte View Post
    Looking at the boards now. Should I tighten the screw on the front clip all the way down? So that it just barely allows the braid to fit in there? Maybe we didnt tighten enough. The line was only 8lb diameter and very slick superline.

I am shooting you straight here and I am sorry to inform you but it makes no difference how new or old your release is. If the line slips thru the release/clip it (the line) cuts the rubber gripping material rendering that clip/release useless. Been there done that a few times in the past and it only took once on most occasions. That super line/braid is mean stuff.

Start by tightening the clip a 1/4 turn at a time and try to remove the line by hand in the same fashion that it is now releasing, be sure to put the line as close to the spring as possible before testing. Also try to make the line slip from front to back along the length of the board. if you have movement in either test tighten the clip another 1/4 turn and re test, keep doing this until you get no movement or you can tighten the clip/release no further. Both of these test are done within reason as you may be able to apply more pressure by hand than what would be applied by the board while actually fishing, your judgement will help you out at that point.

Please be aware the line may have already ruined the rubber coating on the clip, it only has to slip a few times or a few feet to cut that rubber coating on the clip/release.
    Last edited by wakina; 04-12-2015 at 03:43 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I think I'll go ahead and get some super clips. I did do some testing by tightening down the clamp and trying to pull the line through. It definitely seems better than was before. Although if I pull hard enough it eventually will slip. I'm probably pulling harder than what it would ever be when fished, but still going to play it safe and get the super clips. That turning around to go get boards, is for the birds.

But, Im glad to hear that it is ok to also use the pins with tattle flag system. So once I replace the clips and use the pins we should be good for the next trip.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice! Awesome forum! You guys are the best. Hopefully someday I'll be able help someone else out from what Ive learned.