Equipment failure!! Equipment failure!! Equipment failure!! Equipment failure!!
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stressed !!!!!

Dinner Chinese food Now I'm stressed It must be beer thirty somewhere

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started trolling I bought a dozen Cabelas Depthmaster II rods. I used them the first year and I didn't like them, seemed to be a lot of flex at the reel seat. I didn't have any fail but I just didn't like the give in them. I then purchased a dozen Daiwa Wilderness rods. I liked them but they were 8'6" long and I wanted shorter rods. The main reason I wanted shorter was I didn't want to tear the rods down to put them in the cabin of the boat. I ended up getting a real good deal on a dozen 7' Shimano Talora rods, so far I love these rods. We'll see how well they hold up for a season of dragging for walleyes. I have found that you can get pretty good deals on rods and reels if you by them by the dozen. Its a big nut to crack spending all that money up front but you can save as much as 40% buying that many. Personally, I have never been real impressed with any of Cabelas name brand item from shoes to those nerve racking pop guns. That the little kids run around popping in their stores all day long.
    Last edited by mkalink; 02-17-2015 at 06:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=MasterKraft;45401]Someone ought to shout out to the guy with 300 lb coolers every trip. I'm sure his rods gotta be stressed.

Shame on me, I know[/QUOT

Does that 300lbs include ice?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKraft View Post
    Someone ought to shout out to the guy with 300 lb coolers every trip. I'm sure his rods gotta be stressed.

Shame on me, I know
    MASTERCRAFT

I'VE NEVER MET YOU BUT I LOVE YOU MAN. yOU'VE GOT A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR.

Post Thanks / Like

Wakina, thanks for putting it out there. It's a shame when sportsman are afraid to share info about an inferior product for fear of a lawsuit. I am the kind of person who would stand up to any such threats....lol now that I think about it....that attitude has cost me in the past. Oh well, I'd still rather be a stand up guy.

Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't the rods I'm using. But now you have me thinking about the solid blank through the handle. I never really considered what would happen if the cheaper rods failed. What I don't understand is how your friend lost 2 reels. You would think he would have learned after the first one broke. Must have thought it was a fluke.

Post Thanks / Like

I had issues last year a couple eyecons by a famous maker. I traded them in for a couple cabelas platinum zx tournament in 7 ft light action and love em. I know its not the durability you need for trolling but I drift and cast and caught quite a few walleye last summer on them. I am really impressed by them.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Defernaut View Post
    MASTERCRAFT

I'VE NEVER MET YOU BUT I LOVE YOU MAN. yOU'VE GOT A GREAT SENSE OF HUMOR.
    One of the best things in life is helping others laugh.
    I'm gonna miss her.... ....Maybe not so much, now that she left

2016 Tracker Targa V18 w/t
    150 Mercury 4 stroke
    9.9 Mercury 4 stroke kicker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Wakina, thanks for putting it out there. It's a shame when sportsman are afraid to share info about an inferior product for fear of a lawsuit. I am the kind of person who would stand up to any such threats....lol now that I think about it....that attitude has cost me in the past. Oh well, I'd still rather be a stand up guy.

Anyway, I'm glad it wasn't the rods I'm using. But now you have me thinking about the solid blank through the handle. I never really considered what would happen if the cheaper rods failed. What I don't understand is how your friend lost 2 reels. You would think he would have learned after the first one broke. Must have thought it was a fluke.
    He said they were into school dolphin of about 5 to 6 lbs each trolling about 4.5 to 5 mph GPS speed and one slammed the first rod and it went over the side leaving the cork in the rod holder and before he had a chance to figure out what had happened the other rod left. If you have never caught one of these guys they are like steelhead on steroids but super fun on light tackle and excellent eating.

He said he thinks the small boards saved the other 2 rods since the boards absorbed the shock. They had 4 on at once the way I take it. I think the strain of the boards and the speed didn't do them any good. Not defending the rods but he may have already have had them a max strain with the speed they were trolling. He said he bought the ugly stik tiger light rods in 6'9" med action. Haven't heard how they are doing but they should hold up being made for salt water fishing.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKraft View Post
    I had issues last year a couple eyecons by a famous maker. I traded them in for a couple cabelas platinum zx tournament in 7 ft light action and love em. I know its not the durability you need for trolling but I drift and cast and caught quite a few walleye last summer on them. I am really impressed by them.
    I have nothing against Cabelas rods, at least the ones that I use.I have 3 of the XMLTI rods, 1 casting and 2 spinning, I use them as perch rods and they are super sensitive. Most of their spinning reels are made by Daiwa and are excellent for the price. This thread is more about checking the equipment that you are using now and to inform you about the rods that are involved. Also to maybe avoid the problem by using a rod that has the blank thru the entire handle length. The first thing that comes to mind is the amount of strain a dipsy diver set on 3 puts on the rod at the point the rods handle touches the tube type rod holder. I think maybe he was using a rod that was designed to be held and not stuffed into a rod holder and subjected to the strain trolling puts on the rod.
    Last edited by wakina; 02-17-2015 at 10:55 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip