Steelhead bite??? Steelhead bite??? Steelhead bite??? Steelhead bite???
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Steelhead bite???

Any word on a steelhead bite around Pelee Island or within reach of east harbor?

I just got back from my yearly trip from Point Breeze NY salmon/steelhead fishing and thought if there was something going on in Canadian waters within reach, I may try my hand at it…

Watching those silver bullets break water gave me the bug to fish for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fish or not

how many fish did you get my biggest up there 41 pounds 44 inches thinking about going up is it worth it

Post Thanks / Like

This year was our slowest of like the past 5-6 we have had. The salmon hadn’t quite made their way to the oak orchard area. We were out fishing near the Canadian line in 600 fow marking very sparingly. In the 2 days we fished, I would say we caught 7 kings and probably 15 steelhead. In comparison, Last year we had 3 fish pushing 30 lbs in one trip with the rest in the 15-20lb range.
    When did you pull in the 41 lb fish? That’s one hell of a king!

Post Thanks / Like

See attached

Post Thanks / Like

Default NY

Who did you fish with? We go every year with Buc a roo. Got to love Black North Inn.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to go with buc-a-roo … Their Penn Yan is set up for comfort and Chas/Ron was great to deal with. Chas always made it interesting with his sarcastic ass demeanor barking orders from the fly bridge.
    I ran into Rick and Craig Hejecki ( www.crazyyankeesportfishing.com ) that run the crazy yankee boat. They are two young guys that charter fish when they are not tournament fishing. I highly recommend looking at them for future trips. They are not afraid to burn the fuel necessary to put you on fish.
    The black north… I had a few nights in there that made getting up at 4am for the charter a little rough! Ever try pike fishing in the oak orchard after your salmon trips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default point breeze

No I never tried pike fishing up there. Ron got rid of the penn yan last year. He has a 40' Trojan now. Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Default big kings

the 41 pounder was caught around 3 miles straight out from the breakwall it was 10 or more years ago we told captain that we wanted big kings I think we got 4 kings that day. then we got a double on I lost one at the boat buddys say was bigger then the 41 pounder it ran towards the boat and I thought it got off I quit reeling then the captain took the rod and reeled it as fast as he could handed me the rod back says its still on. it ran right towards the boat we had each corner with fish on as I got mine up to the dypsey diver the net man went down to net it and some how the net came up empty and the fish was gone. mean while the other corner was still fighting ran line out to 1200 ft as we got it up to the diver and then it ran back out another 800 ft buddy weighed around 120 pounds and his knees were buckling so he handed it off to buddy who fought it then handed off to me then I handed it back to the first guy who finally landed it. his wife was home sick with cancer. and he did not want to mount it money issues due to medical bills. capt said it was his biggest king ever on his boat and he was not going to cut it. so we took it up to the taxidermy in ny and had it mounted for him and the other 3 of us split the cost and gave it to him at a fish smoking party in my back yard. my last trip up we were limited both days with 3 0r 4 30- 35 pounders I have 1 on my wall we finished the trip with beers at the black north in with the capt. and venison steaks on the grill, I have pics got to find them and 1 on my wall. want to go back our capt is no longer chartering it was the walleye queen for our last trip. and another charter for the 40 pounders. on a lighter side while we went to get fish mounted for friend he stayed behind on the boat sleeping due to a few to many beers. so when we got back to the boat we asked capt hey wheres he at and he says I kicked that sob off my boat we asked why and he told us he stood up whipped it out and pissed all over his cabin. he walked back to motel I gave him my wallet to hold with close to a thousand dollars in it. when we got back was told he fell in the river with my money, luckily all I got back was wet money. we still laugh about it today the next year the capt and him both apologized to each other so all is good
    Last edited by rscotfish; 08-02-2014 at 03:57 PM.