Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Waters

Post Thanks / Like

I think them big 30 inchers taste pretty good myself

Post Thanks / Like

Default amen

Half Pole . Never met an Erie eye I didn't like .

Dale
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Yep your right, don't preserve the fishery kill them all now and be sorry later!

Post Thanks / Like

Default yep

Your right. Keep releasing those 30 inchers and eat all the prime spawnners and you will do just that. And just think, you thought you had all the answers.

Dale
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

This site was and is a site to talk fishing and to make it easier for those having trouble or those inexperienced with what it takes to harvest lake Erie walleyes. It was never intended to be the place to condemn, criticize and call names, those who abide by the regulations and laws as written and enforced by the ODNR just because their views and opinions are different than yours. You did write the following quote didn't you?

Quote "I'm guessing your one of the idiots, the point is fishing is advancing an today's fisherman can target big females weather it be spring or ice season, so the statements that you can't hurt the lake by hook an lining walleyes, that you can only hurt them with nets, was true 20 years ago but now a days with sonar and flashers and better boats,all the new equipment a guy can go out there and catch a 60 pound bag of fish." Unquote

You did say or have indicated that it is every ones right to keep what they want as long as they are within the regulations. If you honestly feel that way then your beef is not with the law abiding sportsmen nor is it with the other law abiding members of this forum who keep those legally caught big fish, so please quit trying to make them feel bad or guilty, but instead your beef is with the ODNR as they are the ones who set and enforce the regulations governing what can or cannot be kept. There are 3 types of fishermen and women on this site, those who will keep those big females and those who will not and those who keep no fish but catch and release only. The only way that you will be able to stop people who keep those fish is to petition the ODNR to make it illegal to include them in ones daily creel limit! You will never be able to change anyone's mind or behavior by posting those concerns on this or any other fishing reports site. I would also like to point out that within the last 10 days you have personally posted in a thread started by you asking for help to located the best areas to catch a combo of both perch and walleyes! Don't you think that is kind of contradicting what you have posted in this thread about 60lb limits for walleyes with all of the electronic gizmos you have available at your disposal today versus 20 years ago? If what you stated in this thread about the electronic gizmos is true then you should not have to ask for help finding the more plentiful smaller fish.

The culinary value of a large sized fish versus a smaller sized fish of the same species would be the individual preferences of each person. Just as it would be from one species of fish to another. I have had just as many small walleyes taste skunky as I have 8lb or larger walleyes. It is what it is and they are what they are. Just as you would cut and cook a roast differently than you would cut and cook a steak, the same applies to the bigger fish versus the smaller fish it makes a world of difference in the taste of the fish big or small.

Something to think about!

Once the 2003 hatch became mature adults there were roughly 35,000,000 adult breeders in lake Erie! Now assuming that only half of those adults were females of breeding age that would be roughly 17,500,000 mature females. The average number of eggs laid by a mature female is roughly 250,000. Please read the last post in this thread in the provided link as it is my source for the average number of eggs laid per mature female.
    http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...ic,1075.0.html
    So with 17,500,000 females laying an average of 250,000 eggs each that would be a total of 4,375,000,000,000. That is (four trillion three hundred seventy five billion) eggs laid. If only 1% hatched, that would be 43,750,000,000 fry and if only 1% of those fry lived to maturity that would be 437,500,000 (four hundred thirty seven million five hundred thousand) walleyes that would have survived into adulthood. So since those numbers have not or were not ever realized there has to be more involved than the few thousand females taken just before, during spawn or any other time of the year for that matter. As the numbers indicate those thousands females would have a very minor roll in the total overall egg production.

Some more good reading based on 2003!
    http://ohioseagrant.osu.edu/discuss/...n.html#msg1644
    One more link!
    http://www.epa.gov/med/grosseile_sit...s/walleye.html
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Today 07:47 PMHiddenlake
    Them 30" walleye are also great smoked. Honey glazed!!!
    Edit Report

Post Thanks / Like

My original post was directed to know one but he had takin offense to it I can state my opinion as I please, and my opinion is that keep people who keep big fish are compensating for something and like to be the mocho man at the ramp, it's hard to believe that you guys can't get over your egos and let them go take a pic and send her down!? Yes I do have tho gizmos but they do not help with the fish moving and what they want to eat? So your argument is totally invalid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder View Post
    My original post was directed to know one but he had takin offense to it I can state my opinion as I please, and my opinion is that keep people who keep big fish are compensating for something and like to be the mocho man at the ramp, it's hard to believe that you guys can't get over your egos and let them go take a pic and send her down!? Yes I do have tho gizmos but they do not help with the fish moving and what they want to eat? So your argument is totally invalid

Actually it is your argument that is totally invalid!

So you want those of us with big egos who spend the time and money to find the fish and work out a program to catch them, to then give you that information so you can then call us idiots for keeping legally caught fish! Is that what you are implying!

Your side of the argument is not based on any type of researched facts and is based only on what you claim to be your opinion. To say that people who are compensating for something by keeping large fish is obviously nothing more than a reaction to your own lack of skills and inability to target and catch fish, large or small. It also reveals you as either jealous or a wannabe psychologist or both, one who bases their opinion of people on what they perceive as being the reasons for a particular behavior, in this case keeping large fish to show off at the dock to then to be thrown away! That is an unfounded statement and you know it. You ran out of facts beyond your opinion to advance your side of the argument so just typed/spouted that garbage to try and sound convincing and authentic. You have no documented research to back up even one small portion of your argument in defense of your opinion.

It has been proven time and time again that in any discussion that has 2 differing sides. The side based on scientific research, in this case by trained marine biologists will prevail over the side based on the opinion of a wannabe marine biologist which is in this case your opinion.

Twice you have called people Idiots on this site before even reaching the total of 10 posts or replies. You don't have a clue if those who answered your 2 non combative questions, have in the past kept or are currently keeping those 30 inch fish! If those who responded are keeping those large fish does that make them idiots in you opinion also. You have not provided any knowledge or have you communicated any reports for the other members beyond spoon colors. But have instead tried to make me and others believe that you know what you are talking about based solely on your uneducated opinion!!
    Last edited by wakina; 07-05-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said in no way was it directed to fish head but he took offense to it and that shows me that he feels guilt, and has to keep reassuring himself that he is not hurting the fishery as do YOU or else you wouldn't have taken the 30 or so mins to look up that data, so I'm guessing I touched a nerve with you as well never accused anyone of keeping big fish but when you say you do I'm going to tell you what I think! Haha and your mad for telling you how I feel, if I feel tht keeping 10lbers is idiotic I can say it! I would find it hard to believe that you think that this past ice season did not hurt years to come thousands of females pulled threw the ice, in past years in the spring trollers killing those huge ten pound fish full of eggs so saying it doesn't hurt is just plane childish just to make yourself feel ok to kill those 30in fish an then taking there genetics out of the lake for people to enjoy in the years to come. If you didn't feel guilt you woulda just saw this and kept going but no you had to look up stuff find something that makes you right and post making you feel better!

Post Thanks / Like

Default walleye.com community

Yonder, this is a great site and forum for those who enjoy chasing fish around the waters of Erie. There have been a few heated debates over the years but I would advise you to be respectful of the people here. These are the people who are willing to help you whenever you need it, finding the fish, what programs are working and even fixing mechanical problems on your boat. You or at least your current screen name are new to posting on the forum and your posts are letting us know the kind of person you are. Once a reputation is formed it is difficult to change it. I don't think anyone has a problem with someone stating their opinion but they can have a problem with they way you do it.

Welcome aboard, now calm down and enjoy what this site has to offer!