motor stals when shifting into reverse or neautral motor stals when shifting into reverse or neautral motor stals when shifting into reverse or neautral motor stals when shifting into reverse or neautral
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default motor stals when shifting into reverse or neautral

any ideas ?????

Post Thanks / Like

Is it an outboard, I/O or inboard?
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was doing that. I had rope under the prop making it hard to turn, at idle speed it would stall when I put it in gear. But I need more info to make a better guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Default io

its a 27 foot sport craft with 2 165 io mercruseir outdrives

Post Thanks / Like

They're both crapping out in reverse?

Post Thanks / Like

most liklely its the kill switch out of adjustment, or lower shift cable sticking and not letting switch center up. switch is located just off the main shift cable and is real easy to see if its working right

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is the shift cable from the engine to the out drive, over time they get stiff and need to be changed, when shifting the switch momentarily stalls the engine for a smooth shift. this is a common problem stalls the engine too long , type in your problem into a GOOGLE search and there will be many forums on this. You can buy the kit on EBAY for about $50 or the entire package witch included all boots etc which is recommended for about $150 , it is a easy job just time consuming you can Google or YOUTUBE directions the socket you will need I made one out of a 9/16 cheep deep socket by grinding it again easy .boat repair place will charge $900 if you and a friend have some time takes about 6 hours if you can turn a wrench and read simple directions it is a do it your self project... DO NOT ADJUST YOUR SWITCH THIS WILL DAMAGE YOUR OUTDRIVE The correct way adjustments can be found on GOOGLE or YOUTUBE they are a measurement of 6" on one cable and no tension plus 4 turns on the other

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem 2 yrs ago up on erie. I took it to a marina and they adjusted the cable. it shifted good for awhile but I ended up having to replace the shift cable. I don't even remember just what they charged me but it wasn't that much. you can call around to a few marinas and ask what they charge to replace a shift cable. or you can do like somebody already said and buy you a new shift cable off ebay and install it yourself. I just don't know that much about shift cables so I had mine changed by someone that knew what they were doing.

Post Thanks / Like

To check if the lower shift cable is sticking and causing a problem in the circuit for the shift interrupter switch. Locate the shift interrupter switch located on top of the engine at the junction of the shift cables. This is most often on the left side of the engine as you would be looking at the engine facing the back of the boat. Once you have located the switch interrupter switch you can unhook one of the wires or unplug the connecting plug if it is so equipped that is attached to it. Start the engine in question and at idle speed while still moored put that engine into and out of reverse. If the engine still stalls then it is most likely a different problem if it does not stall then you most likely have found your problem.

Please do not operate your boat with the switch disabled as described above beyond the testing procedure because it can cause severe damage to the out drive.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

my boat stalls as well all I do to fix it is change the idle air filter, its located in the throttle body, its a small Styrofoam filter and cost about 2 bucks. Take off your flame arrestor and you will see it, its not very big less than 1 square inch