Saturday 6/7 Saturday 6/7 Saturday 6/7 Saturday 6/7
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Saturday 6/7

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday 6/7

The wife and I got to the dock this morning about 6 am, got the boat ready for a couple of her friends from work who were supposed to arrive at 6:30. Got a text that they had a change of heart and would not be going today! (Docs Beach House)

So off we went to dreamcatchers baits to get some minnows and left the dock by 7am. My wife surprised me saying she wanted to try for walleyes first but I think she was just being kind as she knows that I prefer to walleye fish. So off to the same area as yesterday between D-can and F-can.

We went past the starting point for yesterday and started to fish north and west of Green. We sent out the first board with a # 7 UV PrettyPanties hatchet blade by Silver Streak on a worm harness. Put out the 2nd line with a #7 brown and gold XPS hatchet blade worm harness, the blade is no longer available but I have a large supply of spare blades. Both set at 25 back of the boards with Tru-trip 40 divers.

I was rigging the 3rd line when the first line had a pull back, nice 20" walleye. Just got that re-baited and the board attached and dangling and the second line fired, I netted a nice eye about 24". This continued back and forth with just 2 lines until we had 7 fish. Made a run back up and past our starting point and managed to set all 4 lines this time, we caught several white bass and sheepsheads before we got back to the waypoint where we started. Got one eye off of each line in rapid succession and the last eye came on the PrettyPanties blade about 5 min. later. I have fished the lake for many years and have never seen the eyes as aggressive as they were today. We were all by ourselves and the big pack had moved further NE of where it was yesterday. Program was Tru-trip 40 with crawler harnesses 25 to 28 back of Church TX-22 boards at 1.7 GPS speed.

We then cruised toward Niagara to perch fish but didn't mark much after a few passes there looking for fish. Those who were already there did not seem to be catching fish so we went on to C-can and dropped the hook about 100 yards east of the can. It was a slow pick of nice fish with several 10+" perch and we ended up with 47 perch that weighed 18Lbs at the cleaners, and who knows how many white bass and farm animals as they were unreal today.

It was just an awesome day on the lake with all of the fish that we caught. Even the white bass and sheepshead were fun to a point but they did finally manage to become a major PIA.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-07-2014 at 08:57 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great day!

Sounds like one of those "doesn't get any better than this days!" Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome buddy! It's always great when you get into fish while the wife's on board. If you keep catching them like that she might just start liking walleye fishing after all.

Thanks for the very detailed report!

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure that if the fishing would be this easy all the time it would very quickly become boring. But when these days come along it is an awesome experience, an experience that seems to good to be true while it is happening and one that will never be forgotten, one that will most likely never be repeated.

I have pulled 3 man limits in 45 mins in the past but at least we got all 6 rods in the water those few times. Those first 7 fish gave me a workout just netting, baiting and resetting those 2 lines. The wife even did a good job netting my fish, her first 6 attempts ever, with only 1 miss cue that also turn out well.

On a side note I did pull the lines and go back up for another pass when we went fishless for about 5 min. In the past I have been known to ignore that basic rule and wait to long before moving back up for another pass thru the active fish. If they are there and active that is the time to stay on top of them and catch them when the catching is good.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-08-2014 at 10:37 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! thanks for the report!
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ?? wakina ??

were you inside the cans or outside ???? coming up from Columbus just me and my wife would love to get on some close fast action .... she would fish with me all the time till I took her out of lorain about 3 yr ago got stuck in 6 footers in a 20 ft boat.... she didn't go back for 2 yr .... one time last year.... thanks ....

Post Thanks / Like

We were outside the can line closer to Green Island than the can line, North and west of the Island. On a line from the Rattles to mid way between D-can and F-can on the firing range we were catching fish about 2/3 of the way from the Firing Range to Green Island. My suggestion would be if you mark fish stop and try to catch them. Last 2 days people ran overtop of the fish I was working headed for the big pack west of Rattlesnake Island. I don't like crowds on the water so I avoid packs if at all possible.

They were definitely interested in worms more than spoons on Friday so I didn't try spoons on Sat. but that can change overnight. I fished somewhere close to the depth of 15ft with the harnesses. We marked fish both higher and lower than that but only a few higher so we ran the baits just above the majority of the higher fish. The water was extremely clear and we could see the blades flash about 3ft deep.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS