Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: line for tt40

Post Thanks / Like

Yep...power pro 30

Post Thanks / Like

Default Like I said

Lots like Power pro in 30lb . Most of these guys are charters that have people not use to fishing Erie so it is a safe bet to not lose gear . To me on my personal boat its about enjoying the sport and the fight of the fish on the lighter gear but again , Im old school . Another thing to be aware of with the braid , is slack line . Since the braid has no stretch , the slightest bit of slack line and the fish is gone .

Set your drags where they need to be with 10 lb test mono , and losing gear and fish is not a problem at all . Love to hear the sound of the drag taking off before even grabbing the rod out of the holder . Fight on !

Dale
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishhead315 View Post
    Lots like Power pro in 30lb . Most of these guys are charters that have people not use to fishing Erie so it is a safe bet to not lose gear . To me on my personal boat its about enjoying the sport and the fight of the fish on the lighter gear but again , Im old school . Another thing to be aware of with the braid , is slack line . Since the braid has no stretch , the slightest bit of slack line and the fish is gone .

Set your drags where they need to be with 10 lb test mono , and losing gear and fish is not a problem at all . Love to hear the sound of the drag taking off before even grabbing the rod out of the holder . Fight on !

Dale
    This is all solid advice by fishhead315! I would like to add that those who use 30LB braid can also have the enjoyment of fighting the fish as described by fishhead315.

I use the Shimano Tekota 300 reels, 30LB or 40LB braid(depends what is on sale). The Tekota 300 Reels are capable of applying a maximum drag of 18LBs. I do not set my drag at maximum but set it at 30% to 40% of 12LB line, 41/2LBs to 5LBs. checked with a fish scales at the rod tip with a straight line pull to the reel. If I need more drag while fighting a fish I will snug it down just a fraction at a time then move it back to the same or about the same position that it was before. Yes the Reel is capable of more drag but that is not why I use the braided line. I do not like to just winch the fish to the boat. I use the braided line to avoid breakoffs and the braids better long term durability, as well as the less stretch characteristics of braid and the extra drag is there and available in case you would really need it and the breaking capacity of the line would not be exceeded with the maximum possible amount of drag. In other words set the drag for braid to the diameter of the line. Example would be~~ using 40LB braid which is about the same diameter of 12LB mono, set the drag to the specs for 12LB mono. Then you would be fighting the fish and having as many thrills and fun with the same settings that one using the 12LB mono should be using! But you would still have a 28LB reserve breaking capacity in your line. To me that is an advantage that is to good to over look.
    Last edited by wakina; 05-29-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old School

With spinning rod and reel, I like to match the line with the expected weight of the fish. When I am running Dipseys or the Church Walleye boards along with TT40, TT50 or 40-50 Jet Divers together with first line crankbaits off LC counter reels, I leave nothing to chance. 20 lb. Trilene XT is my line of choice. No lost tackle and few lost fish. The only time I recall having a line snap was when I snagged a reef or two and couldn't bring them to the net. I'll see you on the lake tomorrow. Be safe out there and make it a fun day. After all, this too is only a game...

Post Thanks / Like

Default PowerPro

I guess I should have mentioned that I also use 30 lb PowerPro.

Post Thanks / Like

Power Pro..here with #0 dipys..
    Last edited by ALL*EYE*WANT; 05-30-2014 at 06:05 PM.