Mumee Bay? Mumee Bay? Mumee Bay? Mumee Bay?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mumee Bay?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mumee Bay?

Good morning all. sorry I feel as though I always ask for info and never give it. I only make it to the lake once a year, twice if lucky. only fish jig bite but would like trolling if jig bite is slow.

to my point,

when is the best time in the season to fish the maumee bay? I don't see a lot of info regarding the bay a terrible lot. I've seen shows/videos of Jays blade baits that are used out there but not sure if it's ever worth a trip during the spring jig bite around the reefs? I realize most guys do the trolling thing because it seems most productive. I'll get there some day.

thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

This is for The Maumee Bay proper, Little Cedar point to Luna pier.

I must start by telling you there are a high concentration of fish hung up on the humps and deep points meeting the deeper lake where it drops off from 4 to 18 feet. Little Cedar Point and near Turtle Island on the flats West of the Toledo harbor light. Jigging dark hair jigs(purple),some times minnows help, or Cicada style buzz baits.
    Be warned, You must not fish inside of the line between Little Cedar point and Turtle Island with stinger hooks, or more than one hook with larger than a 1/2inch gap.
    You are subject to being fined and possibly your rig confiscated.
    Drift sock(s) out to move as slow as possible. Mark all catches on GPS and go back around on producing waypoints.
    It is hard to get at them however.
    mud.
    You can catch them but it is about the worst case for conditions.
    With that said, I am hopeful for this weekend. Saturday morning at 6am.
    The winds are set to stay SW for the next 36 hours. 2 feet or less.
    It is a long shot if the turbidity will fall to a level where the fish can see.
    If they can see It will go quick.
    If not, then it is gassing it out to cleaner water and trolling crawler harnesses, maybe on bottom bouncers, and crank baits slowly. 1.0-1.5 to start, then adjust speeds by turns and throttle. Adjust baits at several depths at first and see what they like. Refine, depth and bait type...and smile. Trolling is work to be succesful. Jigging even works on fish in deeper water but structure holding fish is harder to find where there will be clean water. They are in schools near bait. If you see bait on your sonar... Fish
    Believe your SONAR
    All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that the hook regulations are ending today and beginning Tomorrow 05/02/2014 those regulations would no longer be in effect and stingers would be allowed. Here is the regulation from the ODNR site.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/...strictions.pdf
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Just got easier. Sweet.
    All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Limits also changed on May1, 2014 back to 6 walleyes per day and remained the same for perch at 30 per day! I don't know why the state has not updated their regulations page on their fishing page as that is a very important aspect of the regulations. Here is the link to the release of the limits.

http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/20...please-anglers
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip