Ice conditions Ice conditions Ice conditions Ice conditions
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by branhamautomotive View Post
    I am heading up there in a few hours to drop some stuff off at the camper and plan on stopping at a few of the more popular launching sites. I will take my camera and see if i cant post a few pics for all to see.
    Thanks for the picture. I posted them for you..

Post Thanks / Like

ok did the dumb dumb I took my wifes good camera and the files are too large to load here so anyone wanting to see email me at [email protected]. skipper9 is trying to get them resized to post on here for all to see.

but the report is lots of ice still. not an expert but I would guess be a couple more weeks before much of any safe boating will be able for most. unless we get a heat wave.

at the Marblehead there is a huge pile of blue ice I would guess 10 to 15 feet high a couple hundred yard deep. there is what looks like safe open water 400 or 500 yards off shore heading towards kelley's and towards cedar point. out towards the weather buoy north of vermillion looks open. there is a huge ice pile in area of kelley's sholes that from the lighthouse looks to be half as tall as the trees on the island. from mazurik the whole marina is locked up tights. lots of ice heading toward mouse looks like ice most of the way to south bass with a little bit of open water around katawba.

east harbor is open in the middle and channel but lots of ice right out the mouth. channel grove marina looks to have 8+ inches of white ice in the marina and gas docks. they had some pumps under the gas dock running so there was a good look at the ice thickness on the edge of the moving water there

There is open water between the bass island and kelley's. the portage rive is open and flowing but ice right out of the channel most of the way to katawba and south bass. looking west it all looks like sheet ice. there is an ice pile on the west wall of the portage river channel rock wall taller than the red channel marker beacon light that was not there a few weeks ago. so 12 to 15 feet or more high over the rock wall.

due to a our 11 month old daughter telling us she has been in her car seat for too long we were not able to go farther west but seeing that the farther west we went the more ice we got I would guess its all locked pretty tight.

so unless its open around huron area which looks like it might be possible not much going to happen on the west end.

the west side of the Sandusky bay is mostly locked in white ice. to the east side of rt 2 there is open water under the bridge towards cedar point, but looks like there is some fresher surface ice that is clear mixed in. might be able to launch from sunny's or Dempsey soon and be able to fish the east side of the bay sooner than almost any place we saw. we did not go to either but can see sunny's from the road

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday's satellite view was pretty clear. Lots of ice in the western basin but it appears to be pretty cracked up. I think the next s.w. blow will open it up quite a bit. Unless we get a week of 50's there is going to be icebergs for several weeks yet.
    Last edited by BossHogg; 03-27-2014 at 05:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stalker

I have been a stalker on this site for many years now, reading all the positive comments and very helpful info that you guys put on here to help the guys out that are week end warriors. For myself, I am a seasonal worker that has more time in the winter than summer and can not believe the info that was put out there for this years unbelievable ice fishing season.( Been ice fishing Erie for over 20 yrs when there was good ice.) For you locals and Capt's that put just enough info on here to at least get us guys in the right area. (lot of lake between Meinke's and Katawba) pat yourself on the back because it is appreciated by most. And your info on ice conditions will keep people safe. The ones that listen.......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please Melt Fast

Thanks for the great information on the ice conditions, I am from Wisconsin and we still have 30" of ice on Winnebago (My home lake) I have my first trip to Erie scheduled for the 1st week of May and I am getting both anxious and nervous because of the ice. I retired in January and fishing has now become my fulltime pastime. Also a special thanks to Skipper 9, year after year when I check this site for my upcoming trips, Jim is the first guy I look for and he's always there with good info. Thanks again, us out of staters, really appreciate you guys and this site.

Post Thanks / Like

Default pib ice

Talk to someone thurs. 3-27-14 said they where still going out of put-in-bay.

Post Thanks / Like

sparky if your first trip is early may you will be all good to go. I cant imagine any way there would still be ice here by then

Post Thanks / Like

sat pics looks the ice is really working its way out of here wont be long now

Post Thanks / Like

Default Turtle Creek Ramp and Channel

Ice is slowly melting.

Post Thanks / Like

was in P.C yesterday open water far as i could see water was very dirty and rolling waves should help melt ice i would think