Fish Trends/ females vs jacks Fish Trends/ females vs jacks Fish Trends/ females vs jacks Fish Trends/ females vs jacks
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Trends/ females vs jacks

Been fishing west of West Sister 1 mile or so. Been catching a mixed bag, but mostly females in 10+ lb range. They are very aggressive biters. Jacks mixed in here & there but ya know when it's a jack. Follow up, down, buggy whip, twitch, drop, lift, drop, lift, lower slow & twitch and after 2 minutes they "bug off". Now! On the inside. 15 degrees out of Magee. 3.23 miles. "Jack land". Could be done in 1 hour. 2-3 lb ave & a few 6-7's thrown in.
    My take away is this. Cubed walleye in gallon freezer bags for fish fry's head to "Hogtown" west. Table fare for family? 3.23 mi @ 15 degrees will do ya right.
    C Ya tomorrow & Saturday. Frabill Speed Shak XL with green & black Honda Rubicon. Set up on green Otter Sled II with 4 yellow w ratchet straps.
    Good luck & good fishing.

Here's a hog spot! My gift
    6.75 miles from Magee. WWSW of West Sister 1 mile or so!

41.44.08 N
    83.08.15 W

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile lures and color

thanks for infor. just curouis, lures amd color.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats your thought on all the females you see laying on the ice and next to trailers when you get in at crane. I seen about 36 8-10lb females all laid out next to a trailer yesterday at crane. They were taking pictures. I wanted to throw up. Its everyones right to keep what they want within the regs, but I mean its just doesn't make any sense to me.....

Post Thanks / Like

MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH.....Those are the same people who will be complaining in a few years when the numbers are down.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO PUT A PRICE ON FUN!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Really?

Little or no ice fishing on Erie in 5 years and you are sick about people catching a couple limits of pig females?? Go ***** at all the snaggers in the rivers and leave the true sportsmen alone. Do your homework! Hatch results have more to do with weather , current , temperatures and silt conditions than guys keeping some females. WOW?? What a bad vibe!

Post Thanks / Like

they are really tasty 10lb females ...... LMFAO

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep all

The old ladies . DNR has said over and over again that its better to keep the older fish instead of the 3-5 lb females which are prime for spawning .

You guys must be smarter then they are or clueless . My guess is the later .

Oh yeah , fished today with a 3 man limit . All fish were 27-30 inches again . You bet they will taste good for dinner .

Will be back out tomorrow as well and hope to do the same again .

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Default Firetiger

love the post about killing the Jumbos at Simcoe . Whats the difference between keeping Jumbo perch or big walleye ?? Same difference , different body of water . Killing the big perch are fine just not for walleyes I take it ??

Dale
    Last edited by Lakeerieguy; 03-01-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not target big walleyes, male or female! I target walleyes period, big or small. I also do not harbor any animosity toward those who do target big fish before, during or after the spawn.

With me if they are of legal length they go in the box, if by chance there are two fish hooked at the same time and only 1 is needed to fill my limit I will keep the larger of the 2 and release the smaller one, that is if I am fishing by myself.

This is an old argument, one that comes up every year at this time, or with no ice season, then at the start of the jig season. Did you know that a female walleye has only 2 seasons? They are either actively spawning(dropping their eggs) or they are pre spawn. It makes no difference if they just became mature or a 30+ inch adult they are in one stage or the other there is no in-between. Once that last egg is dropped a healthy female immediately starts to develop eggs for the next spawning and that my friend is pre-spawn. Just because a female is not visibly swollen with eggs does not mean there are no eggs present in her egg sack.

To those who saw the females laid out by the trailer at Crane Creek and then came on here and related their feelings in a post describing how it made them want to throw up. Here is a question for you. Did you voice your concern to those who were present and taking those pictures that you have related to in your post, I mean the ones who actually caught those fish? If not why not?

You did say that it is every ones right to keep what they want as long as they are within the regulations. If you honestly feel that way then your beef is not with the law abiding sportsmen nor is it with the other law abiding members of this forum who keep those legally caught big fish, so please quit trying to make them feel bad or guilty, but instead your beef is with the ODNR as they are the ones who set the regulations governing what can or cannot be kept. There are 3 types of fishermen and women on this site, those who will keep those big females and those who will not and those who keep no fish but catch and release only. The only way that you will be able to stop people who keep those fish is to petition the ODNR to make it illegal to include them in ones daily bag limit! You will never be able to change anyone's mind or behavior by posting those concerns on this or any other fishing site.

The culinary usefulness of a large sized fish versus a smaller sized fish of the same species would be the individual preferences of each person. Just as it would be from one species of fish to another. I have had just as many small walleyes taste skunky as I have 8lb or larger walleyes. It is what it is and they are what they are. Just as you would cut and cook a roast differently than you would cut and cook a steak, the same applies to the bigger fish versus the smaller fish it makes a world of difference in the taste of the fish big or small.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-02-2014 at 12:51 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Well said wakina !