Fish Trends/ females vs jacks Fish Trends/ females vs jacks Fish Trends/ females vs jacks Fish Trends/ females vs jacks
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    To those who saw the females laid out by the trailer at Crane Creek and then came on here and related their feelings in a post describing how it made them want to throw up. Here is a question for you. Did you voice your concern to those who were present and taking those pictures that you have related to in your post, I mean the ones who actually caught those fish? If not why not?

The culinary usefulness of a large sized fish versus a smaller sized fish of the same species would be the individual preferences of each person. Just as it would be from one species of fish to another. I have had just as many small walleyes taste skunky as I have 8lb or larger walleyes. It is what it is and they are what they are. Just as you would cut and cook a roast differently than you would cut and cook a steak, the same applies to the bigger fish versus the smaller fish it makes a world of difference in the taste of the fish big or small.
    No....I did not voice my concern because...AND ONLY BECAUSE...I wasn't there.

As for the culinary usefulness...I could never tell the difference when eating one versus the other...especially deep fried. That being said I'd eat cod loins or haddock all day long before walleye...Just my preference...Saltwater fish just taste better to me.

I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade with my "sick to my stomach" comment...Just how it makes me feel. The limits are what they are and people are entitled to take what the law allows. I do believe, however, that Lake Erie is a fragile fishery and selective harvest methods will be way more beneficial for future fishermen than a "fill the box" mindset.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO PUT A PRICE ON FUN!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default So.............

I was in the lot and seen all the females that group caught. To be honest I did not like it one bit. It made me angry. I have thrown back all the females I have caught this year.

Now with that being said, am I to understand that the fishery is not being harmed by keeping the females? So me returning all the females won't help Erie? Honest question.

I understand that they were within the law and I guess I am just looking for the "science" on keeping females.

So if keeping females is not hurting the fishery, does it just come down to a personal preference and ethics?

Just trying to understand and learn here guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Wakina right on track. Target the guys who set the regs, not the guys following them! If you take issue with what we can keep.

Post Thanks / Like

Default big females

they have a reason for keeping them big females! ANSWER IS. because you aint the brightest if your out there. d. clark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin Jiggy View Post
    Wakina right on track. Target the guys who set the regs, not the guys following them! If you take issue with what we can keep.
    Just because there is a law to do or not do something doesn't mean that you can or can't do what you think is right. Maybe I think different but, then again, I was never one to follow the rest of the lemmings off the cliff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eye Doctor View Post
    Just because there is a law to do or not do something doesn't mean that you can or can't do what you think is right. Maybe I think different but, then again, I was never one to follow the rest of the lemmings off the cliff.
    This is a battle that goes on every year. I'm not going to get wrapped up in the political googan attitude about it. Let's get that ice outta here and go fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default hostility about females

To each his own. if you think you have a right to get angry over someone else's catch then say something to them, not the guys on this site. If u ain't got balls to tell the guy with the females then best thing to do is mind your own business plain and simple

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of males, so not all of them hogs are females. These were caught yesterday afternoon. We did limit out 2 man grandpa and grandson. Grandson just loves to ice fish. I think the rivers have more taken than the lake anyway. Its more inclosed. Just my 2 cents if that means anything. Thats all i have lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images Fish Trends/ females vs jacks-img_20140302_110444_703-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gettin Jiggy View Post
    This is a battle that goes on every year. I'm not going to get wrapped up in the political googan attitude about it. Let's get that ice outta here and go fishing!
    Yep...I'm out too...To each their own...Hope I didn't get anyone's panties in a bunch...Let's go fishing...Be safe out there!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lakeerieguy View Post
    The old ladies . DNR has said over and over again that its better to keep the older fish instead of the 3-5 lb females which are prime for spawning .

You guys must be smarter then they are or clueless . My guess is the later .

Oh yeah , fished today with a 3 man limit . All fish were 27-30 inches again . You bet they will taste good for dinner .

Will be back out tomorrow as well and hope to do the same again .

Dale

did you read my whole post I said was their right to keep whatever ,I just asked what others thought , I just don't like it.....
    I could give a **** what you like eat .....
    Last edited by Firetiger; 03-02-2014 at 06:13 PM.