what a tough day what a tough day what a tough day what a tough day
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down what a tough day

fished last Friday and only managed 20 big perch! Caught 3 sheephead to every 1 perch. Went out today and couldn't even get 1 junkfish!!!! out from 7:30 to 1:30 traveled from turnaround buoy to Toledo water intake to 1 and 2 buoy drifted etc and nothing!!!! hope not to have too many more days like today, beautiful day on the lake but bummer no fish

Post Thanks / Like

Next time try b c or g can those always have been hot for me!
    It's All About the Journey NOT the Destination!!!

"I FIND THE FISH I ALWAYS FIND THE FISH"!!!

1994 Sportcraft Hard top 250 Fisherman

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info but I have the map of lake erie that I bought from the bait shop and have never been able to locate those cans you guys are talking about! Where are they located at?

Post Thanks / Like

A, B, and C can mark the Northern border of the Camp Perry firing range.
    G Can is on the Canadian/Ohio Border near Middle Sister Island.
    All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trollingfool View Post
    Thanks for the info but I have the map of lake erie that I bought from the bait shop and have never been able to locate those cans you guys are talking about! Where are they located at?
    Here is a map of the Camp Perry Firing Range which would or should be on the map you have purchased from a bait store! Starting at the upper left side of the lightly shaded area you will find A-Can (Y "A") now moving left to right you can follow the can line across to C-Can. Follow the angling can line down to the lower right corner of the map you will come across Niagara Reef which is a large green navigational bell buoy marking the reef, then you will find D-Can (Y "D") continue to follow the line to the bottom of the lightly shaded area and F-Can will be on the lower right corner, follow the line to the next buoy which is G-Can (Y "G"). The area around Y "G" is a popular Walleye and Perch fishing spot. As you can see the lettered Cans follow around the Firing range in alphabetical order and are designated as Y Letter "A", "B", "C" etc. until it terminates at Y "L" just below Y "A" the starting point.

http://westernbasinsportfishingassoc.../range_map.jpg

Here is another map that would have the G-Can that Redeyedrooster is referring to. Follow the firing range cans to Y "C" Can and follow that straight up (North) to the Canadian line, right beside the E in Lake you will find the Border can designated with the letter G (G-Can). As you can see G-Can on the Border would be several miles from any US Port. The can letters and GPS Grid numbers were put on this map by a savvy fisherman and then scanned to produce the map and then posted on this link. It was accurate at the time, no reason to believe it still isn't.

http://westernbasinsportfishingassoc...uoymarkers.jpg

So as you can see, using just the letter designation of a given can for navigational purposes can become very confusing at best. So my point is that only the poster who uses the letter of any certain Can, to pin-point their location while fishing, knows for sure if they are on the firing Range or the US-Canadian Border.

Now by following BLACK PEARL's posts I believe the G-Can he is referring to would be the one on the firing range, but that is only an assumption on my part and I do not know that to be a fact.

Every one of us while posting a location designated by a lettered can have made the mistake of not stating that we were either on the firing range or on the Canadian line. I hope this helps clear up some of the mystery about the cans and their location.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trollingfool View Post
    Call me with map in hand and I will go over it with you... even some hot spots. 614.327.7144
    Last edited by skipper9; 07-31-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks Wakina

I know the dilemma and thank you very much for clearing it up. That is just like I go out to the red and white buoy with the bell. Some people have told me that is the McDonalds, others have said it is sputnik, others have called it the turn around buoy so for me it is the red and white buoy!!!! Bought a different boat last year and it is a 25 foot wellcraft and am just hesitant about traveling that far with no luck! I had a 18 foot Lund and the gas used is considerably different, however I want to though. I have gone as far as west sister on the north side for walleye. Looking at your map it looks as though that is another 7 to 10 miles southeast of west sister and I launch out of SSP.

No guts no Gory huh! But I love to catch fish I get a couple of other guys on the boat and we will be off the the land of the cans!!! thanks for everything

Nat