Trolling Spoons - Help Please Trolling Spoons - Help Please Trolling Spoons - Help Please Trolling Spoons - Help Please
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    48 Off Guest

Default Trolling Spoons - Help Please

I am new to the whole trolling thing but I am having fun learning more about it and watching it produce.
    On Monday the 7th we were fishing E/NE of Kelly's half way to "C" can on the line in 45ft of water, around 7am. We started out casting only caught one, so we decided to try some trolling (about 9am) since there were numerous boat showing up trolling around us. Only got two lines (inline board @60ft, jet 30 @ 45ft, and spoons) in the water at 1.8 mph when both lines got hit, 2 walleyes. We thought this is great! We marked that spot on the GPS and worked that area only to pick up sheephead. We tried moving numerous times, even far away, we tried varying depth of the jet, we tried increasing speed (up to 2.6), we tried "S" turns, but could not pick up another walleye. Seemed like we were getting steady hits but all were sheephead.
    So my question - I am doing something or multiple things wrong, wrong location, speed, presentation, time or what? Please help.

Post Thanks / Like

We need more information. Water depth, temp, overcast/clear skies, water clarity, wind direction and speed, direction of troll, lures used, line type and lb test. Give all the detail you can, and you will get quality feedback. After all, we are a bunch of know it alls. Stay tuned and it should start flowing in........Spoontang

Manxfishing Guest

If I were picking up sheephead trolling
    I would bring the lines up (higher) 5' at a time till I stopped getting them.

Just a thought

michiganmarv Guest

Like Spoon said it could be a lot of factors, I hear more and more about spoons for taking Eyes this year than any other year. It sounding more like a steelhead spread then an eye layout.

The walleye have been changing the rules on me and I didn't get a copy. I used to rig 4 bouncers and crawlers at the back and put hot-n-tots on inline boards to the side.
    Now it's 2 bouncers out the back, 2 dipsys on the sides with spoons, a j-9 rapella with rubber core on one board, a spoon and rubber core or mini disc on the other board, and a lead core line (4 colors) up the gut. I troll between 2.1 and 2.6 MPH, this has worked ok for me in the late June and July, mainly in Buckeye waters due east of furmi or by west sister.

48 Off Guest

Okay more details-

FOW - 45-48ft
    Temp - 76* and rising
    Skies - Clear
    Waves - 1 foot
    Clarity - Very Clear
    Wind - From SW
    Trolling - W then E then NW then NE then NW you name it we tried it.
    Lures - Michigan Spoons Stinger and Scorpion - Monkey Puke, Hammered Copper, Kevorkian
    Line- 20lb Fireline with 4 ft fluoro leader

Like I said I am new to trolling and trying to learn so I appreciate the input.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish by brest bay, bolles, and luna pier. most of the time in 20-27' fow. I use mini disks and jet divers. I would recomend getting the precision trolling book, also known as the "trolling bible", it will tell you what depth your lure is at with a certain amount of line put out. Where you are fishing, I would use the number 40 jet divers and run spoons or crawler harness on them. good luck, hope this helps some.