Week of Fishing Week of Fishing Week of Fishing Week of Fishing
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week of Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Middle Island

Quote Originally Posted by always trolling View Post
    I have noticed several reports saying middle island... Were is this is there another name ????? Thanks....
    Middle island is due north of kellys just across Canadian line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always trolling View Post
    I have noticed several reports saying middle island... Were is this is there another name ????? Thanks....

As stated by jsh62, it is in Canada just across the boarder, it was the center of Al Capone's bootlegging operation in this area back in the day, there was a mansion on that Island for years but it has most likely rotted away by now. If you decide to go up near the line to try for eyes be extremely careful around the Gull Island reef/Shoals area which is south of the Island and is in American waters. Gull shoals is much larger than you would think and there are several shallow spots with the shallowest where the Island used to be. That area can and will spoil your whole day for those who are unaware. We used to call it playing baseball while fishing there as a charter Captain running out of Channel Grove Marina in the late 70's early 80's.
    Last edited by wakina; 06-03-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

for no one who has been there, re read post # 12!
    that area is treacherous and the water around the red nun is especially sinister
    i know a lot of guys troll around between the island and shoal but not for the inexperienced
    many a prop, out drive and sailboat keel have been destroyed and the tow back is a long one
    in the 80's my 23' lyman only drew a foot and half so we would fish between the red nun and reef and see the rocks just below the boat
    many times other boats would try to come up to us, but no matter how much we yelled at them they just kept getting closer until there was a loud crash.....we stopped fishing there due to us pulling the dumb azzes off the reef
    the first of june the water was on fire with jumbo white bass and some walleye, they would drive the minnows up from the weeds and spawn also
    since the zebra's have really hit, i doubt any weeds are there anymore ......jmo....

Post Thanks / Like

Default shallows on gull

What areas around the red can should a guy be extra cautious with on the gull island shoal?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and one more thing...were is Lucy's Point ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by H Dawg View Post
    What areas around the red can should a guy be extra cautious with on the gull island shoal?
    My best advice to you would be to get a chart if you don't have GPS, there is to much going on there to be explained in a simple post. You would have to see the danger spots for yourself on a map/chart and then determine if you were going to go into the shoals.There are a lot of danger zones in Gull Shoals.

Lucy's point is the long out cropping and under water finger of rock that runs from the NE corner of Middle bass to the green can that is well away from the island. The ledge runs in a ENE direction toward middle island an gull shoals area. At times you can see water birds standing on the rocks which are just under the surface.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Default Buc=Eye

You funny1

Post Thanks / Like

Lucy’s Point extends off the NE corner of Middle Bass Island. It is marked with a green buoy that has a bell that rings in the waves (Its annoying on a windy day while perching.) There is a step in the water off the bell that drops from 20 feet down to around 45 FOW that is a popular spot for perch, walleye and smallmouth. On the map listed below, Lucy’s Point is at the location 3E.

The red bell on gull island shoal would be situated around the number 9 on the map. The water SW of the red can drops rapidly into 50 FOW. Wakina hit the nail on the head about Gull… It’s a rocky area that has many shallow spots that’s difficult to explain in a post.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info guys...looks like it's time for an electronics upgrade before i spend to much time out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skipper 9 Boards

You can get the 500# test line for the boards at Hi-Way bait... If you are really nice and promise to return them, you are welcome to borrow my boards (Skipper 9 boards) for an afternoon to try out. Although, I can tell you that you need to be ready to buy a set as soon as you bring mine back because you won't be able to go back to your older boards.

-Matt