Walleye fishing first week of May Walleye fishing first week of May Walleye fishing first week of May Walleye fishing first week of May
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Walleye fishing first week of May

What do you guys think about the jig fishing quality in first week of May?? Will it still be hot with the lack of warm weather and slow warming of lake water?? I have a buddy who wants to hold off till then before he comes up for a trip??

Thanks!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I would think it will still be going

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Default May

We cant compare anything to last year as to the spring. The first weekend of May last year brought in some of the best walleye of the season with my style of fishing (drifting with a rod in hand). With the cooler weather we have, the jig bite should be doing very good yet. We fished the deeper reefs last yr the same weekend with good results and nice fish. I expect early May , the first 2 weekends to be using bare jigs and jigs tipped with a worm. Depends on water temp and our unpredictable weather. On Sunday when I was out, I saw some boats netting some fish and others sit in discust for not catching any. The ones that did not do well did not have bait, I asked them if they had shiners. NO. In the cool air around fronts they dont hit the jig with alot desire, so the slow slow down the your action with your arm and add a big shiner to the hook. One guy kept watching me as I caught a couple right beside him, he was snapping the rod up and had no bait. I offered a couple tips to him but I think he went in with clean ice afer following me for a couple drifts. Sometimes the color doesnt make any difference if you add a bait and can feel the bite. Jigging is sort of tough to learn for the beginners, it takes alot a feel. Keep at it for those who have a tough time. And yes , early May should be good this year as the water may stay cool till late May.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]