Tousaint river Tousaint river Tousaint river Tousaint river
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tousaint river

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tousaint river

Has anybody heard if their going to dredge the mouth of the river at the end of last season it was only marking a foot and a half I figured i'd ask before I started looking at other marinas I messed my prop up pretty bad last year and I don't want to have to replace another one after this year if I can help it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 240 fisherman View Post
    Has anybody heard if their going to dredge the mouth of the river at the end of last season it was only marking a foot and a half I figured i'd ask before I started looking at other marinas I messed my prop up pretty bad last year and I don't want to have to replace another one after this year if I can help it
    I don't know answer to your question, but if memory serves me correctly, in past dredging Tousaint has been problematic because there is a high amount of old ordnance from the firing range still in that area. Someone from there may know more, but I seem to remember that has always been an issue. Wish you luck, hope it gets done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 240 fisherman View Post
    The mouth of the river is maintained by at least 2 marinas and maybe more, the 2 that I know for sure that maintain it are Beef Creek Marina and Paradise Acers Campground and Marina. I do know that after the Labor Day weekend the channel dredging is over for the year, so that leaves at least a month and a half that there is no dredging. It is uncertain as to when they will dredge for the first time this year and it was late April or early May when they dredged for the first time last year. The bouys are also maintained by Beef Creek but am not sure who paid for the new bouys that were installed last year. I don't know where you dock at on the river so I can not give you a report about the water depth near your Marina. Be aware that the Bridge accross the river at Porky's on Rt 2 is closed for repairs until May 25 of this year so don't come down Rt. 2 form the Bessie side to access Beef Creek or Paradise Acers. There is also a reverse raffle available to help maintain the dredging operation and I believe it has a 50% pay back with the other half going to the dredging fund. PM me if interested and I will point you in the right direction.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jighead419 View Post
    I am sure happy that you had the insight to check for yourself, and I stand corrected on the bridge closing at Porky's ! I asked my source 3 times if he was sure and he was certain that it was closed at Porky's and he Confirmed it was at Porky's, maybe he had consumed one or two to many to be accurate, LOL . I have not been up there in 3 weeks so I just took him at his word, he comes that way from Toledo so I figured he knew what he was talking about and we were talking in person. Sorry for the mis-information. The info about the dredging is from my own personal Knowledge and not second hand info. and is accurate. I camp and dock at Paradise Acers!
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for,all the info guys I dock at beef creek and with all the talk on here of low water levels it was starting to make me nervous I know the river isn't that deep,to begin with and that's without low water conditions

Post Thanks / Like

Minor correction to that, that bridge is located further north on 2 than, porky's my shop is just east of porky's that bridge is actually located closer to metzgers marsh!
    David M Miller
    Dreamcatcher Fishing Bait & Tackle
    912-433-6000
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Right now I am more concerned with Beef Creek proper, the little stretch between the trees leading into the main river. With the low water conditions and only having 1.7 ft of water last fall in that little stretch it can be the game breaker for us who dock at both Beef Creek and Paradise Acers. But I do not have my transducer offset to compensate for the difference between the actual depth and the recorded depth on my sonar, so the water is most likely at least 1 ft deeper than my recorded depth. I have never had a concern about the river mouth as they always in the past dredged that channel at least 4 times during the season.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-04-2013 at 07:29 AM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEfriend View Post
    I don't know answer to your question, but if memory serves me correctly, in past dredging Tousaint has been problematic because there is a high amount of old ordnance from the firing range still in that area. Someone from there may know more, but I seem to remember that has always been an issue. Wish you luck, hope it gets done.
    I have not heard of any problems with old ordnance in that area of the River mouth, but it is certainly a possibility. The problem with the old ordnance is that there is no way to tell if it is a live round or a dummy round! Most of the stuff that they find is mortor rounds and farther east closer to Camp Perry. I know that if I saw one sticking out of the sand I would not be fooling with it, and that is where most of it is found , on the beach.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree wakina I'm hoping the water is up some more I really don't want to leave I like the location and the sense of security with people living right there at the marina it just would be nice if it was a little deeper I know the end of last year I had problems getting my boat back on the trailer because the water was to shallow I couldn't get my trailer backed in far enough