What A Walleye Season What A Walleye Season What A Walleye Season What A Walleye Season
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

how do you guys know where to go for the walleye? i had a terrible year. i am new to the lake. just wondering how you know where to go? any advice will help. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

just read our reports or call us. Most of the Capts on here are willing to help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iwanteyes View Post
    how do you guys know where to go for the walleye? i had a terrible year. i am new to the lake. just wondering how you know where to go? any advice will help. thanks
    The capts that post on here would be more than happy to put you on fish. Great fishing is just a phone call away.. I would given you all the info you need to fill your cooler.. many of us also offer walkons where we can show you Everything you need to do to have a great day on the water .. you want to talk fishing give me. Call some time.. 614.327.7144.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fish talk

Most captains, like the ones that post on here regularly will talk fish and help you find fish. Most of us have years of experience and have fished the lake since we were young kids. If you just started fishing the lake, you need to do some reading on walleye. Understand the lake, baitfish, other prey, water temp, affects of weather, pressure and so on. I havent seen it all but have seen alot. Everyday is different and adapting to changing conditions. Even then, if the fish wont bite no matter what you do , you just enjoy the day and maybe they will turn on. Walleye and perch have patterns, relate to spawn, water temps then start to warm, they move deeper and hold on structure most of the time. Summertime you will find them in 3 places, reefs, deep structure or suspended over deep open flats. Some move boats east as the main body of numbers of fish head for the deep flats and some of us keep working the same area most of the year. Some troll, some drift (my preference) some do both. Finding fish can be tough at times. Summer high water temps normally slows the bite for awhile then all the stars align for the next phase of the bite. You need to find a niche for the way you want to catch fish. Then get comfortable doing that and you will start learning some areas of the lake that you feel comfortable fishing.
    Call one of us to chat about fish and maybe we can help sort out your problems with what you did or didnt do this year.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish talk - response

gregnwtf is dead ON, with what he is saying... and no this is not a paid advertisement... I reached out to him because I am new to the lake with a bigger boat and I called him up and he provided a wealth of information. Additionally, he helped me locate some fish when I hadn't been to the lake for a while. And I agree with helping each other out, but also finding your own style. Even if you don't catch fish, but you learn something about the lake, or yourself, it is a great reward in itself. I have chatted with a few of these guys and have yet to meet them. They are straight shooters and very helpful. I just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU for all that the captains have done, both on the off the water. GOD Bless them.. and God Bless America...
    - Greg
    27' Sportcraft Fisherman Softop
    Wild Wings Marina
    "Life is too short to worry - about anything"

Post Thanks / Like

hey guys! thanks for all the great responses. i didnt have problems catching fish when i was on them. it was my first year of trolling and seemed to figure it out a bit. the only time i caught lots of fish all year was when they were west of green. someone recommended to read up on the lake. i think ill do that. i dock in east harbor. i know skipper was heading north of vermillion. im curious on how far that is. and maybe it is necessary to go that far. like i said just starting out and learning. love the info tho guys. and very willing to learn! thanks! Logan

Post Thanks / Like

Default closer fish

In the spring, I dont have to travel more than a few miles at most in early April. I fished April 1st this year, started in 9ft of water 1/2 mile out. Never had to go more than 16 miles. Most days I ran 12 miles and stayed there all day. Skipper9 made alot of runs over 18 miles most days. Not saying thats wrong but thats where he found his fish. Skipper9 likes to run east of his harbor to areas of the lake I fished 15-20 yr ago. Everybody has their own way they want to fish. I fish the west end most of the year and from mid July till Labor day I offer Ashtabula trips but this year I took plenty of fish NE 12 miles of Fenwick Marina.
    Next year it will probably be different locations. I may have to run to Maumee Bay area in the spring for jigging. I learned that I love to fish Canadian waters. Its an entirely new way to fish, for the most part. Its alot more reef fishing, which can be tricky but rewarding when pulling fish out of the shallows. Anyways, you can see there are alot of factors to think about each day when you head out. Mayflies bring on another new story for another day.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iwanteyes View Post
    hey guys! thanks for all the great responses. i didnt have problems catching fish when i was on them. it was my first year of trolling and seemed to figure it out a bit. the only time i caught lots of fish all year was when they were west of green. someone recommended to read up on the lake. i think ill do that. i dock in east harbor. i know skipper was heading north of vermillion. im curious on how far that is. and maybe it is necessary to go that far. like i said just starting out and learning. love the info tho guys. and very willing to learn! thanks! Logan
    I can catch fish closer to land but I choose to go out away from all the boat traffic and catch bigger fish faster than I would be able to closer to shore. Its a personal choice...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default distance

I just want to fish again, October BLEW ..... again! Hopefull the 10' - 20' waves dont kill all the fish....
    Ron
    www.somethinfishycharters.com
    aka- Capt. Concrete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsfrail View Post
    I just want to fish again, October BLEW ..... again! Hopefull the 10' - 20' waves dont kill all the fish....
    I here you Ron. Our boat has been sitting in the Huron River for 3 weeks waiting on the fall walleyes lol. She's getting pulled Saturday.

Greg