MMSI #'s and tracking MMSI #'s and tracking MMSI #'s and tracking MMSI #'s and tracking
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

With the Lowrance line of GPS do you need to network your electronics in order to hook your VHS Radio to your GPS or is it just a simple connection?
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Post Thanks / Like

I can not say definitively how Lowrance networks are connected but would have to think its a fairly simple setup. I can tell you with my Northstar equipment, there are 2 wires in the power cable that are for NMEA 0183 networking. The DSC VHF radio also has two wires for NMEA 0183 networking. Basically there is a + 0183 wire and a - 0183 wire on each piece of equipment you want to network. The positive goes to the positive and negetive to negetive. This can be accomplished with a terminal block to add to later or as simply as wire nutting them together. I don't recommend wire nuts in marine environments, but you get the idea. Butt connectors will do fine.
    Once you have the connections made, its a matter of reading your radios manual on how to turn on the network and what network you are using. As in my situation, I can pick from NavBus (Navico), NMEA 2000, or NMEA 0183. NavBus is a proprietary network for Navico units, Raymarine has SeaTalk, your equipment may have its own proprietary network that can be used if all components are of the same manufacturer. The NMEA networks are a standardized network that is capable of networking components of different manufactures.
    So to answer your question, yes it is a simple two wire connection. Going through the menus on your GPS and radio and finding where to turn the networks on is the hardest part, which should be easy if you have you users manual.
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s

Post Thanks / Like

Any vhf radio sold now will be able to nmea 0183 network. Your Lowrance will work fine. There are two wires that you will connect from your HDS or any other chartplotter directly to your vhf radio. My vhf radio is an older model so I am getting a new one. Its also a good safety feature. When you make a distress call your GPS coordinates will automatically be sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    With the Lowrance line of GPS do you need to network your electronics in order to hook your VHS Radio to your GPS or is it just a simple connection?
    Just hook up thru neama 2000 and search for new hardware.

Post Thanks / Like

Just upgraded my vhf this year. This thread made me get my manual out.
    My radio ( cobra f45) dsc function says you can make a group mmsi number.
    this may be something we should look into. With this feature we could know the gps position of anyone on that group. We all may want to learn the capabilities of our vhf radios. I for one will be using these features.

Post Thanks / Like

These numbers are really not secret. Some internet searching can find these numbers, FYI.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm not real internet saavy but I looked for two days on the internet for my MMSI number with no luck. I was trying to find it ti give out if anyone wanted it. I could go to BoatU.S. and look it up but I needed the email and password I registered with it at the time 4-5 years ago. I could find databases with MMSI #'s for ships with FCC licenses but that was it. I called a friend at the marina and had him go to my boat and get my number from my radio. He did get it for me but no one has asked for it or wanted to trade #'s.
    And as far as the group MMSI #, I'm not sure how that works. And my Northstar equipment only allows you to track up to 3 "buddies" at once. If any one wants to trade #'s for tracking purposes, please PM me. I still would like to give it a go.
    Wellcraft 3200 Coastal T-454s