Great Weekend Great Weekend Great Weekend Great Weekend
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Great Weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Weekend

We fished Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 2 man limits on Friday and Sunday (in about an hour and a half) of all big Walleyes in 19' of water off of L-can. Average fish had to be 22" with a couple of 26". Jigging with shiners. Had to feel the bottom then snapped it up and SLOWLY drop it back down into a "dixie cup" . It was our first time trying the jig bite and we will be back. Can not thank the fine fishermen on this site that helped make our trip a success.

To all those who have posted over the past year or so (yea I know I'm a lurker but never had anything to add until now) we couldn't have done it with out you!

ALSO we cleaned all the fish at Turtle Creek. I received a message from the DNR officer in Ottawa stating that we could skin the fish down while still leaving an inch attached to the filet provided that the filet and the skin were left whole. We got them home today and pulled it off the rest of the way. Not to big a deal but now I have 2#'s of skin and zippers in the freezer until next garbage pick up.

Post Thanks / Like

i am new to fishing the jig. had a good time this weekend today was a little slower. you talked about a slow drop back into a dixie cup. what does that mean actualy

Post Thanks / Like

After you snap it up you don't want to drop it back down until the line is straight again. Once we got the hang of it we felt the bite on the way down. I liked the feel of fluorocarbon line better than mono for this reason. Once you felt the bite let it drop down then they were there on the next snap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

branhamautomotive, The way I think of the dixie cup method is like this, No matter how high or fast you lift your jig, when you let it back down you never lose contact with the jig it is always weight on your line and you pretend you are trying to place it back down in a dixie cup. There again you may let it back down at different speeds but never lose the feel of the jig dropping. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

we also were in this area sat and sun and did well same program black and purple yellow also took a few seen lots of fished netted

Post Thanks / Like

ok makes sense. so it sounds like you are doing the vertical jig? so i guess this is good time to ask this question.......what do most ppl perfer the vertical jig or a cast and snap jig back in? i saw ppl doing both out there this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

branhamautomotive

What worked for us was flipping the jig out maybe 20-30 feet let it sink until you feel the bottom and hop it along back to the boat. Then at that point when its back to the boat you are vertically jigging. I only had one or two hit on the way back to the boat but my buddy had several hit that way. It seems like it would draw the fish in more to me by doing that. I caught almost all my fish on the vertical. Also toss it out out on a 90 degree angle to the drift. So you get the swing as it comes in.

Try it a couple of different ways until you find out what they want. Color didn't seem to matter we used 1/2 or 3/4 jigs mostly.

Tight lines!